NAD 3020i output voltage issues

Joined 2021
Paid Member
been a while since ive asked for any help and i try not to these day as i want to be able to work it out for myself-but!
i have one here i just cant work out, both speaker outputs are -26v

when i got the amp both output transistors were blown on the right channel and fuses along with them as you woudl expect, so they were replaced.
I have since checked and tested all other transistors in the output Q401 through to Q418, both channels and all are ok.

the power sections on both rails have the correct outputs.

i have -26v on all 4 output transistor bases and emitters
i also have -26v on the feedback resistors R429 and R430, in fact pretty much -26v all over the place so i dont have a good starting place.

ive been trying to work out what what genericaly could affect both channels the same :confused:

any ideas?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
all circled in green are bang on

i must say after changing the 2 blown transistors i want expecting this

its something common to both rails

Attachments

• 3020i power outputs.jpg
    3020i power outputs.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 112
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need to check that those voltages are reaching the output stage at their destinations. Measure at these exact locations. It is possible a resistor is open.

Be sure to use the bulb while working on this.

And if they are present and correct then it gets more interesting ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-04 110700.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-04 110700.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 87
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well there is your fault ;)

If they are at -26v and yet you measure the correct positive values (as per your diagram in post #5) at the power supply then there has to be an open circuit.

They are the same point... yes :) Take a step back and recheck on the power supply and then on those points again.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
so both R 437 and R 436 were open circuit

i noticed that both resistors were negative one side and positive the other, so it had to be around that location

all voltages now normal.

whats the odds agaisnt both going at the same time.ive put 1/2 w ones back instead of 1/4w

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:up: excellent.

Unless you know the amps history its probably fair to say that anything might have happened to it. Maybe someone tried measuring voltages there and had a meter on a current range instead of voltage and zapped both in the same way. You'll probably never know.