Bad Ceramic Capacitor??

I've heard Ceramic caps are rare to go bad... what about this one? Could it be blackened but ok, or is this a clear sign of going bad?

Same for the 2 resistors and small cap nearby?

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 222
That's gone bang by the look of it, with arc damage on the edge maybe? Perhaps mechanical impact shorted it out?

I've heard Ceramic caps are rare to go bad... what about this one? Could it be blackened but ok, or is this a clear sign of going bad?

Same for the 2 resistors and small cap nearby?

What is this circuit?
Burned ceramic capacitors is a common fault in horizontal deflection circuit in cathode ray televisions.

I repaired a valve amp some years ago that had - amongst other things - a ceramic decoupling cap go short(ish) circuit. The cap itself looked fine, but it measured about 100R out of circuit.

So yeah - a rare failure. But not unheard of.

(Marshall DSL401; C65. If anyone cares.)

Cheers, and regards,

Ant.

It would take a lot of voltage to do that to a ceramic cap - Caps like that don’t go bang by themselves.

In practice they can and do, and with nothing more than within the original voltage rating .
With enough current behind them they’ll completely vaporise.

A relatively common one for me in recent years with certain finished product brands (HK for one example across low voltage bridge rectifier diodes, all that will be left are the legs in some cases.
Crap brand of cap is the cause.