Sony ST-S555ES Secondary / Distortion Slug cracked

So did the task today, sacrificed the Teac T-X100 for the slug.

What a tricky task to remove the broken one in the 555.

however managed without damaging the plastic threads in the IF transformer itself.

the replacement from the T-X100 seemed exact and threads in nicely.

Turned it on to test and the display was wonky :( so immediately turned it off for inspection and saw nothing.

the push, wiggle 'n feel for odd heat test found the weak point and revealed the unit has been worked on and a fair bit I think.

it was a bank of resistors that were causing the display issues, imaged below is from the 444 but that is what the resistor bank looks like.

With magnification it was clear it was once a glued area that was picked clean.

imaged below is from the 555 / actual underside of the weak connection resistor bank. So just reflow and it worked / display is back to how it was.
The traces were scrapped almost to the next connection with a solder run on most. I only reflowed and added a bit more solder run to the next connection. I figure it was good, but shipping spoiled the fix that was done. so my handling of it finished it. So yay just simple reflow to fix.

It's back in daily use spot though needs adjustments / low end is distorted sounding. I don't have equipment (just cheap stuff, and no fm stuff) or good ears so not sure if its the primary / secondary adjustments out of wack or not. that said I most often have talk radio playing, except when listening :D

Last edited: