Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Sony ST-S555ES  Secondary / Distortion Slug cracked
Sony ST-S555ES  Secondary / Distortion Slug cracked
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2021, 02:11 AM   #11
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you like it best in both sound and RF performance? How much is it worth if I try to buy one?
Old 14th October 2021, 02:17 AM   #12
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes. Often had two tuners side by side, just moving the same antena between. Sony can have scary quiet background, reaching almost 90dB. Other tuners were often hissing with the same signal. Local classical fm station (good signal) sounds like cd.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

They were cheap on ebay because of stupid sony decision to provide only current output. No rca. But the fix is easy.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:25 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I saw there's an op amp current source (Howland current pump) with a 600R load resistor to the
tuner ground, but then the remote RCA adapter has another 600R resistor to the preamp ground,
with a coupling capacitor. I don't get that, the tuner still seems to output a voltage signal,
a current source into the internal 600R, and the Rout is 600R. Half the output current goes to the preamp.

Why would the internal load resistor be the same as the remote resistor instead of larger,
so most of the signal current would go to the preamp? Half of the current seems to be wasted.

Last edited by rayma; 14th October 2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

As I said, its stupid. Considering proprietary connector. But the sound is awesome.
Old 15th October 2021, 01:31 AM   #16
tl01magic is offline tl01magic  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adason View Post
I hope you get it fixed. 555es is best tuner i ever heard. I have five now i guess? Had sansui, technics, kenwood, luxman, all sold.
Am with you on that for sure! the 444 I have sounds very good / best i've heard.

I wanted the a/b antenna option and a few more presets is a nice bonus.

was disappointed it was in need of maintenance / not aligned.

and disappointed I had used a metal tool on it which is wrong for a number of reasons; not least of which is may have spoiled the primary since the metal bit i used is somewhat magnetic and now know thanks to Mark's awesome explanation about ferro / ferri magnetic

Last edited by tl01magic; 15th October 2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old 15th October 2021, 01:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Do you like it best in both sound and RF performance? How much is it worth if I try to buy one?
they're particularly good circuits: Direct Comparator series I think all have very high signal / noise

for the 555 usable sensitivity is 0.8uv
Old 15th October 2021, 01:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

What about on local stations without adjacent channel problems?
Is the Sony better than other good tuners, even when reception is not difficult?
Old 15th October 2021, 11:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

can't speak for the 555 since mine is in disrepair.

am not sure about better than other GOOD tuners; I think there are MANY well regarded tuners out there.

for the 444, yes. I guess local can still be within the realm of too strong a broadcast and weak broadcast. I live a few KM from a pop music tower and about 20 from local college low power transmitter.

the 444 handles the close by pop station with no issue, and is able to grab a decent signal from the college.

is just as susceptible to adjacent HD radio stations as other tuners. what used to be one of the better stations now sounds pretty bad.
Old 15th October 2021, 03:17 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
What about on local stations without adjacent channel problems?
Is the Sony better than other good tuners, even when reception is not difficult?
555ES has two antenna inputs, one with switchable attenuator for very strong signals

I use external antenna into unattenuated input and just a piece of wire in another

One other feature I like about this tuner is that you can select for each station separately if you want wide/narrow, or stereo/mono or hi-blend or muting, or which antenna input, it gets memorized with the station frequency. For another station, you can memorize totally different settings. Most tuners memorize just a frequency.

Sony ST-S555ES  Secondary / Distortion Slug crackedHide this!Advertise here!