Class A? Really?

The future for class D for critical listening is now. In fact, it has been that future for a few years now.

That has not been my experience however!

It really depends on what “class D” you’ve been listening too. Not all class D is created equal - some of it is far worse than others.

My experience is that you *can* eliminate the TYPE of distortion that people who hate class AB object to with well designed class D. You CANNOT do this (safely) at very high power levels, as it requires switching frequencies approaching a megahertz and dead times of 10 nanoseconds. And a lot of filtering. This requires “electrically small” components - wavelength-wise, and kilowatt amplifiers tend to violate this. This kind of limits it to power levels that are appropriate for class A (but eliminates the heat, of course). If you’ve been listening to Behringer iNukes, some cheap Chinese kit, or something in a price-point receiver - they are not near as good as class D is intrinsically “capable” of.

closed account
Joined 2007
So they are balanced? push pull?
No, they do not have a balanced topology - RCA inputs.

Ok, there is some confusion here. You can have RCA inputs only and a balanced design, or a push pull, and so on. I was also a puzzled when you said "no SE, because I have +V and -V". Mmmm.

I am afraid I am no expert; I know they are 'Class A' (so the NPN and PNP Mosfets never turn off) - but whether this is defined as 'push pull' ... I have no idea.

What is the design you build? (link please :) )

Ok, there is some confusion here. You can have RCA inputs only and a balanced design, or a push pull, and so on. I was also a puzzled when you said "no SE, because I have +V and -V". Mmmm.

What is the design you build? (link please :) )

Yes, it is not your average Class A. :) It sounds absolutely wonderful, though! :) I built 2 of the 4R version, as they needed to power the 3ohm mids and 2 ohm ribbons of my active Maggies.

Here's the link: Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp - diyAudio

Andy

Actually good AB and D is various orders of magnitude measurably better than class A. T

No. Push pull amplifier of Class AB and class A, the different is only bias current of output transistors. The measurement different is only harmonic profile of the distortion. If you compare class AB and class A with different topology (not only bias current change), of course they will measure different.

1. a Purify 452 (I think the model is) stereo amp.
2. A pair of Audio Research 250SE tube monoblocs.

#2 produced a deep soundstage, from the plane of the spkrs to waaay back.
#1 had a flat soundstage.

This difference was easy to hear ... I'm curious to know what measurements would explain the difference we heard.

Sound stage is about matching phase and gain in two channel, and no (or small) phase distortion in each channel.

closed account
Joined 2007
OK, Jan ... perhaps you can explain how FFT techniques will explain what is going on when 2 different amps produce the following results - using the same source and into the same pair of spkrs. The amps are:

1. a Purify 452 (I think the model is) stereo amp.
2. A pair of Audio Research 250SE tube monoblocs.

#2 produced a deep soundstage, from the plane of the spkrs to waaay back.
#1 had a flat soundstage.

This difference was easy to hear ... I'm curious to know what measurements would explain the difference we heard.

Andy

Maybe a #2 had some small amount of negative H2?

closed account
Joined 2007
Yes, it is not your average Class A. :) It sounds absolutely wonderful, though! :) I built 2 of the 4R version, as they needed to power the 3ohm mids and 2 ohm ribbons of my active Maggies.

Here's the link: Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp - diyAudio

AAAAAAH! Ok, that one. Well, that's an intentionally voiced amplifier. Never heard of it but many people like it a lot. It must be good, I would say.

It is single ended because it generated only one hot signal wrt ground.
It can be called a push pull because it uses two Mosfets (one PNP, one NPN) to simultaneously drive the signal from "both sides" and
It is in Class A because the two mosfets are always conducting.

At the same time, it is a bit weird because if I understood correctly the two mosfets do not work in a completely symmetric way in order to not completely cancel even order harmonics. And it still has a subjectively pleasant sequence of decreasing harmonics.

Never heard it, but I am quite sure one can prefer it and it can also get a perception of deeper soundstage and higher dynamics (the latter because of the distortion as well).

Nothing that could not be emulated with some digital processing and more neutral components, of course, whereas to "fix"it in order to make the result more neutral would be more difficult. However, at the end we choose what we like and often we choose what to choose to like, which is absolutely fine.

The reality is you can build a pretty simple class A amp and it will sound pretty good. To achieve the same perceived quality of sound in AB is a considerably more complex design. Then you have to add we come with one of the most sophisticated DSP processors (our brain), when your brain knows what it should sound like it will attempt to adjust. I can remember ( this will date me) getting in my old truck with a factory AM radio and turn it on and it will sound horrible for half a second then the brain kicks in. I think one of the most difficult part for designers and reviewers is to turn off their internal DSP.

Bill