Good Sanken 2SA1859 & 2SC4883 NOW EOL

I think that 2SC4883/2SA1859 was better as driver, than VAS. I use KSC3503/KSA1381 as VAS.

Anyway the 4883/1859 pair was the last excellent driver. Now we have only the MJE1503x range, which are slow, and have high internal capacitance, or Toshiba TTC011B/TTA006B, which are a bit weak.

Reactions: 1 user
Toshiba have TTA004B and TTC004B is still good enough for 80W amp, what i target personally.

I will stop making amp if I have to move On semi Output unless they improve those MJ series not so linear thingies

VAS: Fairchild KSC3503/KSA1381
Driver : Toshiba TTA004B/TTC004B
Output: Toshiba 2SC5200/2SA1943

Kinda a sad honestly , Good Sanken transistor going away

I have a bag of about 40 NOS Toshiba 2SA1837. They are perhaps one of the best audio driver transistors ever made. Also gone the way of the dodo.

I bought 200 of each from Digikey, several years ago whe I realized that the **** was hitting the fan WRT driver transistors. The Sanyo parts acquired by ON soon followed. Lifetime quantities now in my inventory.

I am making a conspiracy theory , this is agenda by big corporation to kill Class AB to move us to Class D.

Well well that's a joke , hope Sanken/Onsemi/Toshiba doesn't takes it seriously.

It’s no joke. But Q is playing a joke on all of us “Good-bye Jean-Luc, all good transistors must come to an end”. When the pro audio industry finally abandons all class B on favor of D, at all power and price levels, even the ON MJ’s will dry up (and go thru the roof first). Anything “consumer” will go to chip amps as smaller and cheaper is the rule of the day. Anyone interested in high performance linear amplifiers should have already been buying up what they anticipate needing for the next few decades. I suspect that in 10 years most of it will be gone. I There may be additional ripple effects - even things like off the shelf transformers might start becoming unobtainium. When that happens you may want a stockpile of magnet wire and cores on hand unless you’re really comfortable building off-line SMPS’s or can afford to drop a few hundred on good reliable industrial or hospital-grade ones every time you need a power supply for something.