Cyrus 6A schematic required.

Cyrus state they don't want the "user " repairing the internal power supply , you could borrow a PSX-R to see if its the more sensitive parts of the power supply that are faulty but the internal power supply is logic controlled and although I have Cyrus equipment plus PSX-R power supplies I do not have a schematic either.

On checking yes its microprocessor controlled with protection.

IC402 is the power supply fault detector you must have a voltage failure check for 37V DC +/- and 34V DC +/- .

In addition check for 15 V DC +/- as well as a 6V DC +/- derived from the 15 Volt supply .

Manualslib has a parts list but from memory when I asked for a schematic from Cyrus they said even their agents send the faulty items back to headquarters .

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cyrus factory repair service is akin to the factory service of a few other UK manufacturers now, like ARCAM for example. There is no actual repair - the board is removed and a complete, tested working, stock replacement board assembly (often with later model upgrades to the design and firmware. Then it gets a full chassis repaint and detailing job + mods to bring it all up to later model specification. There's no alternative to this type of replacement servicing, so you wind up receiving and paying for a virtually new amplifier and remote controller by the time you covered freight costs and insurance.

Get a quote before sending Cyrus anything directly. That kind of service is very expensive and in my situation, where I had bought a used CYRUS 5 on the other side of the world, it wasn't long before the power supply start-up failures recurred. It was now effectively a CYRUS 6 and the whole business became a nightmare that just became more expensive at every turn.

Your right Ian I knew about this but didn't want to depress the OP any more .

I actually got round it by going straight for an upgrade which, at the time was a stated fixed price , I got my CD player upgraded to an XTSE+ --got to admit it cost but yes they did a good job.

Thank you both,
If I could find a schematic I would be happy, Looking on the web it appears to be £300 for the service. Think I will try to reverse engineer the psu circuit to understand how it works and hopefully work out what has failed.

Regards.

Cyrus factory repair service is akin to the factory service of a few other UK manufacturers now, like ARCAM for example. There is no actual repair - the board is removed and a complete, tested working, stock replacement board assembly (often with later model upgrades to the design and firmware. Then it gets a full chassis repaint and detailing job + mods to bring it all up to later model specification. There's no alternative to this type of replacement servicing, so you wind up receiving and paying for a virtually new amplifier and remote controller by the time you covered freight costs and insurance.

Get a quote before sending Cyrus anything directly. That kind of service is very expensive and in my situation, where I had bought a used CYRUS 5 on the other side of the world, it wasn't long before the power supply start-up failures recurred. It was now effectively a CYRUS 6 and the whole business became a nightmare that just became more expensive at every turn.
The reason therefore is probably, that a wide range of the part are in SMD - cheap manufacturing and very expensive in cases, if realized an actually troubleshooting and repair service - so I guess,
Thus the whole main PCB is treated as if it were one component resp. one part.
A actually repair include creating schematic with help of the genuine PCB parts and some (probably necessary modifications (to remove several design deficiencies) are only then is not a waste of time, as long a certainly amount of devices from the same model is present for service.
At one of the predecessor model the IIIi (3i) this was done several time ago - go to
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/cyrus-iii-restoration-project.306782/
post #3 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/rebuilding-cyrus-power.332113/
and post #20 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...schematics-of-the-later-models-wanted.155987/
show various schematics - maybe very similar to those of the cyrus 6 + 8 models.

My conclusion is: do not buy this kind of device whose manufacturer does not provide information or whose circuits are not repairable.
Tired of these business practices.
Today it has become a common practice to make the customer dependent, not to say a prisoner of the after-sales service of the brand, even farmers have the problem now, they buy equipment at 1/2 million and cannot even change a bulb without calling a technician from the brand.
We are in 2023, resources are limited, it is time to wake up.

Reactions: 1 users