Dealing with a receiver that forces low end to subwoofer out?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I'll repost and delete the thread if asked.

I have a sony str k660p US model receiver. It isn't that great but this is more for fun and to not throw things out if I can help it. I've attached the schematics and datasheet for the ASP.

The receiver always sends the low end to the subwoofer out. Doesn't matter if you choose 2ch mode, switch to rca, have no subwoofer connected etc. You cannot send the low end to the fronts from the settings or the outside.

When connecting to RCA, it goes straight to the analog processor and from there to the amp. Not sure at all what's happening after that with the subwoofer board and amp.

I had some ideas revolving around tapping into lines or disconnecting the subwoofer board completely. Not sure what would happen in that case but that's all I got with my basic knowledge of amps. The more I look at the schematic the more I'm confused. I don't want to damage or blow something up before asking here.

Thanks.

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    231.6 KB · Views: 84
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, you have DC voltage across the sub. Either an amplifier is blown, or the preamp has a DC level out and the amplifier has no protection at all.

Take a meter and measure the DC voltage across the output terminals of the amplifier - no speaker attached!

-Chris

I must've misworded my post. I mean my receiver is built such that it only outputs the low end to the subwoofer. It works fine, but I want to use only my front speakers and not attach a subwoofer. When I try that, I lose all my low end because the receiver still sends the low end to the subwoofer out.

Basically my receiver only does 2.1 out and not 2.0 out, and I am wondering if I can modify it to do 2.0 out.

Edit: Btw I live around 15 minutes from you haha. Live just outside of Halton Hill in Brampton very near to the credit river.

Last edited:
My SONY STR-DE 465 has a function to select large or small speakers.
With power off You press a combination of keys along with the power button.
Check the manual.

I double checked the manual and service manual to make sure and it doesn't have the option. I found this though:

The bass redirection circuitry is always active, so you may hear some sound output from the sub woofer when test tone is output from other speakers. However, this is not a malfunction.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Those Sony (and likely others) HT receivers were made that way for a reason.
Attempts to make them compatable with only 2-channel sound, including bass response, would likely cause other issues.
In other words, if you insist on just using two speakers (AKA regular stereo), then get a stereo receiver without all the processing involved.
Then you won't need to mess around with trying to figure out a solution.
And the additional benefit of having noticeably better, analog sound.

Those Sony (and likely others) HT receivers were made that way for a reason.
Attempts to make them compatable with only 2-channel sound, including bass response, would likely cause other issues.
In other words, if you insist on just using two speakers (AKA regular stereo), then get a stereo receiver without all the processing involved.
Then you won't need to mess around with trying to figure out a solution.
And the additional benefit of having noticeably better, analog sound.
Yeah time for a new receiver I guess. Thanks.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Darn. Was hoping there was just something I was missing but sounds like it's just the receiver.
The thing is......
Those Home Theater type of receivers have loads of processing in them.
They're primarily designed for TV audio/video, and processing for "surround sound".
The "two channel" or stereo option in them is always a "second thought" and results in mediocre performance.
I've never heard one yet that can equal or surpass a dedicated Stereo Receiver for that "pure analog" experience.

Tons of reviews by consumers can attest to those findings - the difference is quite obvious.
You want a seductive and highly satisfying musical experience? - go for something vintage in good shape or restored.
My one vintage receiver, a Harman Kardon 330A (also 330B) from early 1970's gives me goosebumps, particularly with records.

Harman Kardon 330B Front.jpg

The thing is......
Those Home Theater type of receivers have loads of processing in them.
They're primarily designed for TV audio/video, and processing for "surround sound".
The "two channel" or stereo option in them is always a "second thought" and results in mediocre performance.
I've never heard one yet that can equal or surpass a dedicated Stereo Receiver for that "pure analog" experience.

Tons of reviews by consumers can attest to those findings - the difference is quite obvious.
You want a seductive and highly satisfying musical experience? - go for something vintage in good shape or restored.
My one vintage receiver, a Harman Kardon 330A (also 330B) from early 1970's gives me goosebumps, particularly with records.

View attachment 1065185
Good point. I've got a great pair of speakers. Might as well make the best of them and get me a proper analog receiver. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user