vsat of EF output stage

hi Guys ,
what should be the typical vsat for EF type output stage say for a 200W amp running on 4ohms , and it is possible to reduce the vsat by increasing the base current ?
I am using type a configuration in my amp and i generally get a vsat of around 5V for 200W at 4ohms which increases to around 8-9V for 400W at 4ohms , is it possible to reduce the vsat ?

Attachments

• dddddd.jpg
    dddddd.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 214

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Data sheet for 2SC5200/A1943 suggests suitable for 100W amp.

In the lab, maybe. But I do not know why the makers try to fool us about how many devices we need. All things considered, anything over 50 Watts per pair is reckless, IMHO. And at today's prices, more utterly affordable. With savings due to more efficient heatsink. And higher sales numbers and less unhappy buyers.

Use 4 pair for 200W, have 1A of base current available, and I think your Vsat will be very satisfactory, sub-Volt.

I woud remove the ripple eaters, and put some small resistors, say 10ohms series. Increase C9 and C10 as much as possible (depending by the footprint size on pcb).
It will save some loss.
For 400W I would use output triplets, but that means redesign for the pcb.

PRR- Especially for the C5200/A1943. These are only 150W devices, though perhaps the datasheet is - like a lot of marketing BS - "music power" rating. (For those who don't know this means an instantaneous 200W peak power from an unloaded/lightly loaded PSU that then collapses to a lower voltage and can only drive maybe 70-80W continuously).
Transistors like the MJ21193/4 at 250W may just be able to do 100w as a single pair, but the 200W MJL3821/1302 need to be in pairs for 100W, and the higher the output power the more devices are needed as this encroaches more into the second breakdown territory.