Other kits like the ACA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2020
Paid Member
I know a ton of work has to go into making a kit like this. Curious if there was, is, will be other kits like this where you get everything you need, and good instructions.

I know the latest Pass 'lottery' is for this sort of thing, but obviously more limited. I'd love to have a $500-1,000 kit to build something interesting (something like a super ACA, or something closer to a First Watt or XA25).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Why not follow the Pass Lab forum threads where others are building those designs you want, starting with just copying the BOM and sourcing the parts yourself? It's not that difficult when you have a basic spec. for the parts and a supplier like Digi-Key or Mouser online.

Some cheeky kit makers in China even sell you a number of PCB and components kits of Nelson's designs, such as A5 for as little as US$100, if you want to make sourcing the electronic components easier, cheaper etc. One Pair PASS A3 Single-ended Class A Amplifier Kit 30W+30W | eBay
If you're in a hurry, there's even "copies" of finished product - if you believe that's ethical and actually true.

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Honestly, because I am at a point where I love the 'Lego' aspect of building the kit, but less-interesting in drilling, tapping, having to try and future things out. Also, and maybe misguided, I like the idea of a kit that has a lot more people and hours involved with refining (as the ACA has been over the years with the latest revision).

I know that is blasphemy on a forum like this, but just being honest.

From a business point of view, it seems there are plenty of people building 2 or more ACA kits, and there seems to be the willingness to spend some bigger dollars ($500-1000) on a larger kit.

I know a ton of work has to go into making a kit like this. Curious if there was, is, will be other kits like this where you get everything you need, and good instructions.

I know the latest Pass 'lottery' is for this sort of thing, but obviously more limited. I'd love to have a $500-1,000 kit to build something interesting (something like a super ACA, or something closer to a First Watt or XA25).

500 - 1000$??? For 1/5th of that , Son of badger is a steal - 180W of some
of the best "golden fan club" designs of the 20'th century can be
implimented easily. Base design "blameless" with the modular IPS option.
Some IPS's can have over 20W "first watt" before transitioning to AB.

EDIT - class A transition near 5PPM >10K .6-.8PPM (below). The only Pass amps
that can do this ... you buy for 10-20K$. PS - I like Pass's designs for their introductory
nature. While some are more complicated , simplicity is my main rule .
OS

Attachments

• base design A.jpg
    base design A.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
... class A transition near 5PPM >10K .6-.8PPM (below). The only Pass amps that can do this ...
FirstWatt amplifiers is about exploration on 8 - 25W of 1 or 2 stage amplification, intended for the less popular higher efficiency, horn and FR speakers, a different objective from Pass Labs products.

In ppage 5 of FirstWatt F8 manual NP mentioned :
Nelson Pass
You will have noticed, I enjoy amplifiers with a little personality. They don't have to measure perfectly, they just have to sound good.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
500 - 1000$??? For 1/5th of that , Son of badger is a steal - 180W of some
of the best "golden fan club" designs of the 20'th century can be
implimented easily. Base design "blameless" with the modular IPS option.
Some IPS's can have over 20W "first watt" before transitioning to AB.

EDIT - class A transition near 5PPM >10K .6-.8PPM (below). The only Pass amps
that can do this ... you buy for 10-20K$. PS - I like Pass's designs for their introductory
nature. While some are more complicated , simplicity is my main rule .
OS

Your reply is why I want a kit - it is not that I am disinterested in learning more (not sure what you are saying here), but I'd rather build something!

Joined 2020
Paid Member
There are a few threads about people liking the ACA sound but also needing more power. Of course, you find them in the Pass Labs forum: ACA vs Aleph (or other Pass Amp)?
You'll likely get more specific help and useful advice, on any kit options available through US suppliers there, at least.

Thanks. Having the PCBs and a compatible chassis helps a lot.

I notice the links to the BOMs are all dead, I'll ask in that thread.

step up from ACA

@moderators: this thread should probably be moved to Pass forum. Thx.

second, you should probably state some specific goals for the amp you are targeting (which should come from the kind of speakers you have, their sensitivity, impedance, the volume at which you listen, the kind of music material, the kind of source you have (read about the gain structure), the kind of heat you are willing to dissipate i.e. if you want to stay in classA etc.).

Even though an introductory diy design ACA is a little jewel if used in multi-amped speakers. People do not realize how far a few watts go in the mid range and up. One can leave the low bass duty to a classD amp if the goal is not to use large heatsinks and oversized power supply. Or one can make an all-rounder classA amp that goes up to say 50W/4ohm (e.g. M2) and drive many a conventional speaker of just decent sensitivity. Or also make a suitable speaker (after all it is really about matching gear and marrying the setup with the listening space and with the subjective listening preferences).

In the other forum there is a lot of kits circulating and a lot of help can be solicited. Look for a pcb which conforms with UMS hole standard on housings sold in diyaudio store and buy the option with pre-drilled and tapped holes. 6L6 (user) features a build guide for many popular FW clones.

@ostripper: Quoting those numbers is misplaced. Pass does not design for THD numbers per se. The designs there target minimizing feedback while achieving a decent distortion level with particular distortion patterns which seem to be appealing to the ear (and the brain). In some designs more distortion is created to follow in the steps of the illusion commonly created by the tube designs.

It is all subjective listening driven while some measurements are referenced only to put some numbers on what one is listening to (kind of like reading a label on a bottle while tasting wine; eventually the palate decides and not what is on the label ;)). The hobby becomes even more interesting when one starts designing speakers, equalizing them etc. The playfield is wide open. it is all entertainment after all. It starts with the sound engineer recording any number of ways, mixing tracks, EQing the recording to his/her hearing preferences on their audio playback setup, etc. etc. One then takes that material and continues to tweak it through their own setup (room, speakers, source, amp(s)) to suit their own preferences. Those are not constant either and may evolve over time with more personal experiences with e.g. controlled directivity speakers, multi-amped setups, EQ etc.).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.