Problem with my audio amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I recently designed a power amplifier with capabilities of around 120W. The problem came as I connected the speakers and turned it on. What happened was the speaker started moving and making noise without any input signal. I also measured the voltege between speaker terminals and my multimeter showed the same voltage that was on the positive output of the power supply, sience Im using dual polarity type psu.

I hope someone here has some insight on the topic, it would be really helpful.

Is this a guessing game? Seriously, nobody can shed light on a problem without any relevant info. So what's the design (schematic)? How was it built (pictures)? What were the specific test conditions? Etc.
It's the equivalent of "I made this thingamajiggy and it doesn't work...tell me what's wrong" without providing anything to go on.

Mike

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello, I recently designed a power amplifier with capabilities of around 120W. The problem came as I connected the speakers and turned it on. What happened was the speaker started moving and making noise without any input signal. I also measured the voltege between speaker terminals and my multimeter showed the same voltage that was on the positive output of the power supply, sience Im using dual polarity type psu.

I hope someone here has some insight on the topic, it would be really helpful.

dc on the output the same as positive power supply should never be connected to the speaker
its likely some dead transistor

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
120 watt amp is probably running +/-45 volt supply, or higher, typically
niko58 did not share that with us
that would make woofers membrane jump on the floor

when I test new amp (i do not design any, just copy), I use cheap small fullrange, even that often cap protected

we need pictures, niko58, post lots of pictures

Its runing on +/- 60V, Im using dummy speakers so no worries about blowing them up. Ive came to the same conclusion that one of the lateral MOSFETs probbably SJ162 is faulty.

Ive measured Source to drain about 200, then I went and measured drain to source and both of the two PMOS Im using started filling up, one of them came to the value of 2000 and then showed an open circuit, however the other one didnt. It just stayed rock solid at just below 2000.

This doesnt seem okay to me, but Im no pro so thats why Im here.

Hope you can tell me something with the data I gave you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.