Unity-gain "amp" for high-efficiency speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried using a unity-gain "amp" with, say, 8A current output capacity (essentially just a buffer stage) to drive high-efficiency full-range speakers (say, 100db sensitivity) out of your typical DACs with a solid 2v output? I.e., the set up would be just a digital source with a 2v output ==> high-current buffer ==> crossover-less, high-efficiency, full-range speakers.

I am considering using a buffer as way to minimize noise and simplify/shorten signal path. But I am not sure whether the lack of any voltage gain will work in terms of plain loudness and musical dynamics.

attachment.php
?????? ????????? ?????????? - ???????? 137

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I believe the calculator assumes that Vmin would be negative 5.7v, i.e., Vmax is half of Vpp.
You 'believe'... and 'the calculator assumes'... that's what I doubt.
Naming the half of Vpp as Vmax is confusing, name it Vp instead.
So still the question: what are the measured/actual/real voltages from the DAC output? Is this DAC running on +/-6Vdc (+/-5.7 Vpp out) or +6/0Vdc (+5.7Vpp out)?
1/2√2 is only valid for sine waves, but in general accepted for common (audio) signals.

You 'believe'... and 'the calculator assumes'... that's what I doubt.
Naming the half of Vpp as Vmax is confusing, name it Vp instead.
So still the question: what are the measured/actual/real voltages from the DAC output? Is this DAC running on +/-6Vdc (+/-5.7 Vpp out) or +6/0Vdc (+5.7Vpp out)?
1/2√2 is only valid for sine waves, but in general accepted for common (audio) signals.

See attached.

Attachments

• Hidizs S8 USB-C DAC and Headphone Amplifier Audio Measurements.png
    Hidizs S8 USB-C DAC and Headphone Amplifier Audio Measurements.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 149
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s not a fancy discrete Class A amp, but you could use a couple of TPA6120A2 Class AB unity gain headphone amp chips in parallel and drive 8ohms. Those chips can have up to +/-15v rails. Capable of 700mA each so 1.4A when in parallel. Probably would drive 100dB sensitive speaker more than loud enough. These chips have phenomenal performance specs with regards to noise and distortion.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos431b/slos431b.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.