6.35 mm Jack socket problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I . . . could not find any 6.35 mm jack socket in my local stores.
I live in a city of 2 million people in the middle of the United States. No local store has anything useful to electronics except maybe batteries or earphone cables. The music shop has dual 1/4 phone plug guitar cables - only.
I have to order electronics parts from distributors > 800 miles away, at a minimum cost of a $9 UPS or USPS freight charge. Welcome to life.
Major distributors in the US are newark (farnell) digikey and mouser. Major distributors in Europe include RS & reichelt. I suggest you start by checking farnell.com that operates in over 50 countries. Yes, getting parts through customs is a P***. They get lost a lot, even here. You need to find a stocking distributor in your country, after you equip yourself with a debit or credit card.

Use a fuse holder as a temporary 6.35 mm jack socket if you can find one.

70427269.jpg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I agree that you need an adaptor like rayma's suggestion above. i.e. - cheap, reliable if you keep it clean and fits any RCA mic socket with enough sensitivity for the low level output of a typical electric guitar.

Note that RCA connectors are usually intended for line level signals, about 200mV - 1V for full volume, so your instrument may not reach full volume or maybe sound dull when connected direct to a line input such as CD,TAPE,AUX of an audio amplifier.

If you can't find where to buy this adaptor in a major city, you haven't looked hard enough for a music store, audio accessory store, hifi store or repairer that is likely to stock them or at least direct you to a stockist who does.

Vivo en Atenas amigo.
NOW we are talking (because even "Greece" was not accurate enough)

Not sure why you couldn´t find in 30 seconds something like:

* Κατάλογος προϊόντων Topelcom.gr

So far 6 variants of 6.35mm jacks, including plastic, metallic, mono, stereo, extension, etc.

* AJ-1150 Jack 6.3mm σασί stereo AJ-1500 - SmartKit.gr

* https://grobotronics.com/?subcats=Y...ecurity_hash=8f086b8fe726140e6d5a9ffaa83c77a8

and so on and on and on and on and on .....

Not surprisingly since querying:

https://www.google.com/search?q=electronic component shop in athens greece

returns some 17 Electronics Shops in Athens, many of which carry all kinds of 6.35mm jacks.

EDIT: what Tom Finch said:
If you can't find where to buy this adaptor in a major city, you haven't looked hard enough for a music store, audio accessory store, hifi store or repairer that is likely to stock them or at least direct you to a stockist who does.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.