Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

NAD 7020i sudden death
NAD 7020i sudden death
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:13 AM   #71
mjona is online now mjona  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The debate is an extension of much the same as a thread last year only with fire breathing in my direction.

Anyway that caused me to do more searching to find this that thread - see Hometaxial 2n3055/mj2955 and read post 2 and the work background of the member responsible.

I have looked at a variety of NAD amplifier models which omitted the emitter resistors and these were produced over two decades and selling on the second hand market.

I have a contact who runs a shop selling used Hi-Fi equipment I will ask him to keep a lookout for me on any model coming into his shop. These are not selling for silly money in this country - maybe owners are mostly hanging on to them.
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #72
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work zenzaman. A custom PC board! I'm impressed.
Old Today, 04:24 AM   #73
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

NAD 7020i sudden death
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjona View Post
.........Anyway that caused me to do more searching to find this that thread - see Hometaxial 2n3055/mj2955 and read post 2 and the work background of the member responsible......
I would give some weight to the author of #5 there, who's CV I think, includes some acknowledged expertise in the field as well as a personal interest.
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #74
zenzaman is online now zenzaman  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
Nice work zenzaman. A custom PC board! I'm impressed.
Thanks!
What about base stoppers? Do I need them?
Now I'm sorry I didn't include some traces for them on the diy pcb just in case...
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #75
zenzaman is online now zenzaman  Romania
diyAudio Member

also, are the 0.56ohm resistors ok in value or too much? (I didn't go for the 0.33 3W I had because I have no idea what make they are. If a smaller value is needed I might be able to find a couple from the same local seller that had these .56 ones)
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #76
mjona is online now mjona  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I had amicable contact with John Ellis two years ago. John had started a thread for a new amplifier circuit he had built. He was using other than LTSpice software for simulations. I was able to do those in LTSpice for him.

Anyway there were two points in post #5.

You have skipped John's first one which supported my contention that the 7020 output transistors are epitaxial devices. In a way I have already acknowledge his expertise on that score.

The outputs that came out of zenzaman's amplifier are clearly Motorola 2N3055 and MJ2955 which are epitaxial according to datasheets and the Motorola Selection Guide

The year code in the images give the year code as 1990 so they were not old stock at the time of manufacture and the NAD 7020 company part numbers end with M.

What have you got to say about this.
  Reply to this post

NAD 7020i sudden deathHide this!Advertise here!