Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Peavey PA-200 Powerup With Dim Bulb Tester and Variac
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2020, 05:09 AM   #1
Cheeto333 is offline Cheeto333
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey PA-200 Powerup With Dim Bulb Tester and Variac

Hi All,

I am slowly powering up an old Peavey PA-200 in unknown working condition. The boards and connections look ok (no signs of arcing or other damage), so I am slowly bringing up the mains power with a dim bulb tester (DBT) and Variac. I am starting with a 40 watt bulb, and my chain is wall -> Variax -> DBT -> amp. I have a speaker hooked up to the output as well.

Everything seems to be fine until around ~40VAC on the input, at which point there is a "pop" in the speaker and it starts to hum. The bulb is not lit at this point.

Is this expected? Should I keep cranking up the input AC, or is this hum indicative of an issue (bad filter caps)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd November 2020, 05:53 AM   #2
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Don't use a load when test using a bulb tester.
Remove speaker and use a voltmeter, d.c scale, at the output.
Repeat test looking at the voltmeter and the bulb.
If you don't see high d.c (higher than 100mV)not a bright bulb, not something smell... remove the bulb and test again.Finaly remove the variac and repeat.
Now it is time for speaker attachments.
If a second voltmeter is available you can measure idle current at the same time.
Just huke up to one of the power transistors emitter resistor and you will have the idle current under control simultaneously wirh the output d.c.
Anything about 20mV expected for idle current.
I hope this will be useful.
Good luck!
Old 22nd November 2020, 01:30 PM   #3
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Many amplifiers will not start up properly through a DBT or variac with a speaker connected. There is often a range of supply voltage below which the amplifier’s offset voltage is too high for the feedback to correct it, or perhaps even become unstable. It may or may not “snap out” of it as the supply is slowly increased - if it has a load. With no load it should - if it’s working properly. Bring it up without the speaker, and once you’ve verified that there is no significant DC offset, connect the speakers. Then you can run it at low volume to verify normal operation. If you can’t bring it up properly without the speaker, address that problem first.
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. I removed the speaker and added another meter to look for VDC across the output (white and green leads in attached picture, red and black are measuring VAC input from Variac). I measure >100mV DC pretty much instantly after turning up the Variac past a few VAC. Does this indicate an issue? If so, where should I start troubleshooting next?

See link here for schematic and here for manual. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (564.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:27 PM   #5
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

200 mv dc on speaker is kind of a a limit.
If it doesn't go over that as variac comes near line voltage, I'd plug a music source like a FM radio earphone jack in the input and start looking for AC volts on the output. That is if the light bulb in series with the AC line doesn't light up.
Keep the radio turned down, PA level is usually 1.6 or 2 vac input and a radio earphone will go to 7 maxed out. Don't use a cell phone, unless you can afford to throw it away if DC comes out the input of a dodgy amp and blows it. Used battery FM radios are about $4 at resale shops. Usually with a bad battery clip and maybe a dodgy volume pot. New 10k trimpots are $.50.
DVM produce random numbers on AC scale on music, except for the $160 RMS variety. Those RMS meters will totally miss an ultrasonic oscillation, so I never bought one. I use an analog voltmeter for music tracing, 2 vac scale in the front and 20 vac scale vas or after and nearer the speaker. Put a .047 uf cap series the negative probe with a clip lead to speaker ground. Analog AC voltmeter will read DC voltage on AC scales without the cap. Analog voltmeter can be bought for about $25-30. 20 kohm/volt is about standard, 5k for AC scales. Less sensitive VOM are only useful after the VAS, not near the input tone/control sections.
Otherwise, for music tracing use a scope, and the $50 probe which has to be replaced if you step on it. I fix my equipment without a scope, except for low level hum which an AC vom won't see.
High steady AC voltage on AC voltmeter that doesn't pulse with the beat of rock music, is probably ultrasonic oscillation. That can be checked with a 390 pf cap instead of the .047 uf one. Ultrasonic will blow right through a xxx pf cap, music will be blocked.

Last edited by indianajo; 22nd November 2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was getting over 1 VDC across the output around 40VAC on the input, so I'm not sure I can trace an input signal yet... What does a large DC voltage across the output normally mean? Bad output transistor?
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A 1 volt offset can be caused by a number of things. What does it do when you turn up the AC to normal or near-normal (still using the bulb limiter)? The amp may behave poorly at only 40V.
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:22 PM   #8
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

DC on out can be bad transistor, but 1 v indicates something marginal, not a huge meltdown.
Your schematic is missing the output stage page.
I'd look at the line out jack which is at the sum of the inputs, with the output putting out 1 v dc. If there is substantial DC on line out, one of the many electrolytic coupler caps from input stages may be leaking.
At this age, all rubber sealed wet caps (electrolytic) are suspect. Could also be a bad solder joint in the output stage, or a resistor burnt up or something. If there is a speaker coupler cap, a 2200 or 3300 uf or something, it could be leaking DC current.
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was able to bring the amp up to 107 VAC on the input, at which I maxed out the Variac (probably due to the bulb in series?). The voltage across the output was about 10 VDC @ 107 VAC input, but was as high as ~12.5 VDC @ ~92 VAC input. The DC voltage slowly drops over time, but this is still abnormally high, right? The bulb is glowing, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "brightly lit".

What should I try next? Should I just replace all electrolytic caps to rule them out? There are only ~5 or so, although there is that big cap can as well...

Also, haven't been able to find a schematic of the output section, does anyone have one per chance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1354.jpg (940.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (950.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 23rd November 2020, 03:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I’d start with electrolytics - if you have an output coupling cap that may be part of the problem. If there is an output cap you need to verify what the DC is on the other side of it. It should be about half the supply voltage. If there is no output cap, you need to dig to see what is causing the offset.

The bulb is glowing brighter than I would be comfortable with for an amp operating normally. That’s what keeping the voltage down to 107. Can you measure the bias in the output stage? Do that by measuring voltage across the emitter resistors and ohms law. Once you verify there is not excessive current you can move on from there.

Peavey PA-200 Powerup With Dim Bulb Tester and VariacHide this!Advertise here!