Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Pioneer SA-8800
Pioneer SA-8800
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2004, 12:34 AM   #11
Peter Daniel is offline Peter Daniel  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pioneer SA-8800 Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi,

Since you have some experience servicing those decks, I think I have a PS failure, as mechanism is not working and the display meter goes into max (all bars light up). It sits like that on my bench for almost a year, as all PS wires are connected directly and it's not easy to handle that board. What would be the first thing to look into, that you can suggest?

BTW, the deck was fine for years, and after few years of no usage, after first powering on, that's what happened.
Old 21st June 2004, 01:16 AM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Pioneer SA-8800
Hi Peter,
The first thing I would do is remove each card and clean the contacts with De-ox-id (GC). It sounds like the contacts on the relays are bad. The originals have clear covers. Use sealed, gas filled relays to replace them. Many cassette deck suffer from this, Sony being another famous one. The relays are located under the motherboard if I remember correctly.
Know anyone who wants to buy a brand new- in-box Tascam BR20? It's minus the hubs 'cause someone needed them & Teac was out of stock (surprises never end).
-Chris
Old 21st June 2004, 03:01 AM   #13
Lorne is offline Lorne  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer SA-8800 -update

Thanks PETER. Here is my E-mail address:

<marilorn@abeam.ocn.ne.jp>

And thanks for the pics of your Pioneers. I am envious!

Soon I expect that I will be off moderation mode, and then I expect that the attachment facility will work on my posts. (Currently I get a dialog box that reads <Check Archives before posting.>, and then nothing works. I'll put up pic of my non-windowed SA-8800 for comparison.

As soon as I finish restuffing my TX-8800 II. I will be ordering a complement of Panasonic FC electros for the SA. The TX will then be its consort. BUT, when I return to Canada in the future it will be an AM band tuner only unless there is some magic I don't know about. (The FM bandwidth is different here.) I'd be happy if I could just lock it onto CBC-2.

I also own a Nak a 480. I can't find anyone to service it locally the tapes question.

cheers, Lorne
Old 21st June 2004, 08:56 PM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Pioneer SA-8800
Post Old Parts

Hi Lorne,
Nakamichi had discontinued the capstan bearings for the standard mech 1 (yours & Peters) a while ago, but has done another run. The test tapes & jigs were mandatory for any warranty shop, so you should be able to find someone. Belts, pinch rollers etc are another matter. Keep in mind that a rebuild on your machine is around 2.5 Hrs of labour.

Pioneer SA-8800Hide this!Advertise here!