help! STR-DA777ES

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a strange problem with this amp,
i use this amp in 2ch mostly,but have speakers hooked up for 5.1 for movies,
very randomly (can be a hour or 8 hours use ,in fact not at all for days) in 2ch mode it will produce a loud static hiss though all speakers ,music is not heard at the same time i think, it lasts for about 5 sec and then silent ,i can turn the hiss(crackle) down if i get to it fast enough with volume ,
once silent it will not pick up any signal ,once i turn it off and back on its normal till next random time to do this

if any one has seen this before or repaired this problem before id love to ear from you
mike

ps , this is my first post so hello to all ,:eek:

Hello Newzealand1/Mike --sounds like heat is causing a soldered joint to go "high resistance " or just lose contact , the cure would be whatever is overheating or just hot like the output device soldered contacts to be resoldered .

In my day we tried the simple way first when switched on and it cuts out using an insulated non metal probe push the hot components to see if it restores service but now its --- spray them with freezer to cool them down , otherwise you need test equipment to trace out the fault which going by your information could be in other parts of the amp.

Actually where I retired to in a small fishing village its a clear sky but cold but it is October in Scotland nearly November .

We have had a bit of rain over the last few days but its stopped now .

I am at present working in the garden sawing down 25 year old ivy entwined with jasmine of the same age ,using a pruning saw over 40 yards its taken me nearly 2 months to cut it down so no time for building anything.

Philips made some nice sounding CD players I owned one of the now collectable varieties CD 63 .
Yours is still selling in Europe for ( approx ) 140 euros to 200 euros which would make it (approx ) 350 NZ $$$.

I am looking at a German commercial website as I have a German search engine on one browser and its selling at 350 euros that's a lot of NZ $$$ .

hi
good luck with that gardening! be careful not to hurt your self as sounds a super big job,it is spring here and im doing lots of gardening aswell,
im trying to make it nice for my wife,i live in an alpine zone so im planting ferns and the like ,
a cold snap has been here for almost 5 days,this has brought rain which is handy for planting plants,
well your gardening will be finished soon im guessing and maybe then you may find a piece of equipment you want to restore?
what have you restored in the past?
im abit of a collector at heart so i have a few units wanting for work,
i just finished a set of b&w dm7's ,i really like those ,i can send you a picture of them if you wish?
after the philips cd player i have philips fb-825 speakers to rebuild,
the cabinets are rough so i have striped the vinyl off and going to high gloss black them,
the drivers are finished the reconditioning process ,but the ribbon tweeters no good ,
this is going to be the thing that will hold that job up , maybe for awhile as the tweeters are hard to get
but i ramble
mike

I can see your hands are full too , that's a nice area you live in , looking at pictures of it and its a lovely fishing area- Turangi - trout fishing .
Used to fish myself latterly at sea--- bigger variety of fish .

New Zealand is now so popular with rich Americans that your government had to bring in legislation as they were buying up properties and land , they reckoned that its not going to be "nuked " .

You could live off the land there its so non-commercialized and temperate .

You must be good at woodwork doing B&W DM 7,s . B&W made quality loudspeakers and used to be very popular my old -Hi-Fi year book for 1978 only goes up to the DM6 which I have the specs on .

Handles up to 350 watts RMS - crossover -500Hz and 5KHz -50Hz-20KHz--both units are loaded into independent irregularly -shaped totally sealed enclosures -monitor-224mm bass unit -131mm mid-range -19mm HF available satin white -teak-walnut-rosewood finish .

It was over £200 way back then so we are talking well over £500 at today's rate.
I have a lot of that era,s details on hi-fi equipment .

im trying out the dm7's for a few weeks till i find some where to put them,
good sounding units,
my speakers i use as daily drivers are also from UK,( all from UK are the best i believe)
i have just picked up some super looking sonys ,ss-7600,they need nothing other then a recap and a clean up,
a picture of my living room set while trying the dm7s
mike

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 30
I remember the SS series some good speakers there , I am actually using 1984 original Sony APM -22 ES speakers for my "entertainment " PC ,the original ones have the expensive flat tweeter said by "golden ear " Alvin Gold -UK as "near electrostatic " sadly just like life later versions used an inferior dome tweeter.

Like your room too recognise those big oval woofers were they double inside or some such special arrangement ?

Your reel to reel hi-fi tape machines look good as well.

Pity you are so far away I would enjoy talking to you .

I remember the SS series some good speakers there , I am actually using 1984 original Sony APM -22 ES speakers for my "entertainment " PC ,the original ones have the expensive flat tweeter said by "golden ear " Alvin Gold -UK as "near electrostatic " sadly just like life later versions used an inferior dome tweeter.

Like your room too recognise those big oval woofers were they double inside or some such special arrangement ?

hi
i do collect Sony ES stuff, your ES speakers are on my to find list,
i have a few pieces from that era ,cdp-302es ,str-av880, sdp-505es, i do find them to be a little hard to love with the 80's style ,but over the years i have warmed to them somewhat:rolleyes:

the big kefs are a transmission line configuration ,they are my favorite speakers ,
had them for years, very power hungry things they are,the da777es is just enough to get them going,
i was running a perreaux pre and power amp system with them (400watt per channel) that sounded so much better , i regret moving that set on:ashamed:
the reel to reels that i have are for all my recording i never seem to do these days are teacs ,a-6300 and a-3300sx ,but they look neat all the same,
yes it is a shame you are so far away as its nice to have others close by with the same interests ,

a picture of a amp and cd player in my room that would have matched well with your ES speakers

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

oh, i do have a very understanding wife when it comes to my audio addiction ,in fact i have infected her ha ha ha
she collects yamaha gear now ,she has some super amps ,better then mine id say,
there is a group of guys here in nz and we visit each other around the county and when they pick up any nice yamaha gear it gets given to her ,i get so jealous some times ha ha ha
i need to make a shelving system to display them for her one day soon,
but i ramble
mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.