Semi Non-Switching Output Stage of LM3886 Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
attachment.php

This the 50w version. At 52w 1khz THD is 0.007%.

Attachments

• DUAL3886.JPG
    DUAL3886.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 433
Mind to have a close look at the DC voltage divider at the input? The upper leg's resistance is 490k, while the lower leg is only 100k - about one fifth of the upper one. To obtain symmetry in the output stage, I'd expect both values to be almost equal. Am I right in my assumption that the 2N5401 (or KSA992) draws significant base current to pull it's base up to about ½ the supply voltage? How does the amplifier behave with 2N5401 of different hfe? And how does this amplifier behave with different supply voltages?
Best regards!

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
You must post this question on APEX's retro amp thread. There is lot of voltage drop across 12k dc feedback.
By curiosity, I tried the base-collector 47p on the input transistor along 1.8k resistor on the input. The distortion at 10khz doubled. I wonder what is it for.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
attachment.php

In precedent circuit T2 was operating in class C. By biasing with a ccs to 120ma and keeping the BD cut off, now it is the T2 remains non switched. The distortion now keeps 0.00x all the range of powers. At very low levels, it is SE class A.
Hayk

Attachments

• DUAL3886.JPG
    DUAL3886.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 307
  • graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Needs 2 temperature compensation bias. The 4.4 bias voltage is adjusted to have the driver transistor just at cut off, whereas the 12-13 ma needs to decrease with temperature , an Lm334 in parallel to 330 ohm can do. I am trying out different bias currents as it limits the SE class A limit. 200-300ma looks most adequate . What I appreciate most now, the distortion 1khz and 10khz are nearly the same. The open loop BW is 100khz.
Hayk

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
output impedance

The output impedance of Dual, is not suitable for modern bass reflex speakers, Apex solution is much better.
attachment.php

Dual
attachment.php

apex
attachment.php

dual3886
attachment.php

Look how apex impedance becomes negative bellow 100 hz .

3886 apexway

Attachments

• imp dual.jpg
    imp dual.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 263
  • imp apex.jpg
    imp apex.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 239
  • imp dual3886.jpg
    imp dual3886.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 244
  • apex way.jpg
    apex way.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
split supply version
Burn those speakers, good ones only cost 8 times what the amp does.
Or install a competent protection circuit, having 2/3 as many parts as the amp has and a $40 relay that might actually work, instead of those $2 toys everybody uses with only an AC current contact rating.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.