Messed up POTS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I recently had the original POTS for a musical fidelity A5 amp replaced with a Alps RK27 motorized POTS that I thought was an exact replacement as I had seen a few threads around where people had used this POTS.

I had the repair done by a repair shop who failed to tell me the Alps POTS was too big for the PCB, but boshed it on anyway. In short, the distance between the resistor pins and the motor pins is too long. He also messed up a capacitor and I am left with a loud buzz that's being picked up from the transformer and fed into the speakers. I'd bring it back, but Covid has kinda closed everything.

I do find myself screwed now. The POTS was inexpensive, but trying to find a motorized POTS to fit the PCB is a challenge. I looked at the TKD 2CP2511 but it's pins are placed 8mm apart vs 10mm on the PCB and are 15mm across vs. 10mm across on the PCB. The only correct thing about it is the distance from middle set of pins to motor pins if that makes sense?

On the other hand, the Alps fits all the dimensions bar front to back.

Has anyone any suggestions on motorized POTS' that might fit?

Cheers Bonsai. I don't have the old POT as the repair guy would have disposed of it.

Quick update though- when the POT is disconnected and moved away from the transformer, no noise.

I spotted some crud around the new solder and also on the PCB paths that I am going to deox and see what happens. Theres a less than ideal solder joint (exposed wire) where the live incoming mains joins the PCB at the power switch.

OK. Piccs of both pot's attached. The two look identical but the older one is much shorter than the new.

The orientation of the pin on the front is also different. The old allowed for a horizontal PCB mount and the new one only allows for vertical mount. The new model is RK27112MC01P.

Attachments

• POT.jpg
    POT.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 306
  • POT 1.jpg
    POT 1.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 298
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The pic on the RHS looks like a Alps Blue Velvet RK27 dual gang 50k log pot. I use the 10k version of that.

I don't know what the pot on the LHS is - I don't recognize it as an Alps pot.

For the pot on the RHS, here is the RS components part number

234-6617

The price is ~£16

Cheers Bonzai. Definitely Alps, bought from RS. The biggest problem is the distance from the resistor pins to the pins that hold the motor section to the PCB.

I’ve just ordered another to measure it up to the PCB as Alps don’t give the full measurements of the pot online. Close, but there are some important missing figures!

Actually, it does have the measurement but it is 30.5mm and the PCB holes are spaced about 20mm apart.

I can't find anything that will fit it unless I go to a non motorized model. Do hifi manufacturers use OEM's popular models which is the only thing I can think of now.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sorry to keep querying and my lack of understanding of these things is shining through! I was taking piccs of the pot PCB to have a new one made and it strikes me there shouldn't be "burn" marks all over it from there the old pot was removed.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_8543.jpg
    IMG_8543.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 153
If i understand what you want to tell in an obscure way there is no change in volume when the
knob of the "POTS" is rotated. I assume you have output, but too high.

If so the ground connection is missing. This is on the two outside POTS PINS in counter clockwise
position. Use an ohmmeter.

Next post .. how can I find and use one ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.