Please help me to choose my amp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experince in Hifi audio is quite limited and I have to say that I lack the proper words to describe what I'm looking for, but I will give it a try anyway.

I looking for pure, highly detailed sound, not too bright, not to warm- as neutral as possible, with a lot of presense. To give a concrte example, I listened to Luxman 505u and the sound was excellent for me. Unfortunatly the price is x3-x4 than my budget. I.e. my budget is around 1000 USD

I read few threads describing the AKSA amplifies as something which might answer my needs. However, the AKSA is not a DIY as I understand the schematics are proprietly.

I use Indiana line Nota 240 speakers, which are not very efficient (89dB), so power is important (e.g. DIY ~11W tube amps are not enough).

I'm not looking to play around with too many trials of DYI stuff, but hopefuly to invest my time in one amplifier which will sound best for me.

A popular design for which a PCB is already available would be prefered. I have designed and manufacured PCBs for many years and I'm not that excited to do it if a pre-made PCB can be purchased. However this is a secondary consideration. Sound/cost come first.

Based on my description, could you recommend what I should looking for?

Thanks,
Aviv.

Last edited:
Integrated amplifier, power 2 x 100 W (8 Ohm), 4 RCA + XLR inputs, frequency range 20 Hz - 100 kHz (± 3 dB), S / N 105 dB, distortion 0.005%, remote control, weight 21 kg.
Develop a project (find on the forum).
A suitable board can be found on Ebay. Several are possible.
Buy quality parts. Build an amplifier from them and customize it.
$ 1000 and 3-5 years of pleasure from the process DIY:)
Not advertising!:)
InJapan.ru — LUXMAN — Аукцион Yahoo

Last edited:
One of my favourite amplifiers is the Maplin 75WRMS lateral mosfet amplifier.
They do come up on ebay occasionally.
I bagged a brand new one unbuilt a few years back, as common as rocking horse droppings !
I decided to have a go at copying it. I tried to keep as near as possible to original.
I added a DC offset pot and extra decoupling for the front end.
Some of the Maplin versions suffered from hum with input pot turned right down.
I added a TO247 footprint as well as TO3 for outputs.
Exicon and Profusion can provide lateral mosfets
Mine works a treat.

MAPLINLAT.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A very popular one is the Apex FH9. Lots of builders with great feedback. It got popular enough for Chinese eBay clones started appearing. You can make one from Gerbers posted in the Apex Directory thread or make one using an updated and improved PCB in available in the GB forum. I personally listen to this amp everyday and it’s good for 100w and super sounding.

Example of one made by member Strawa is here:
100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.