Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

best amp designers
best amp designers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 09:56 AM   #61
savu is offline savu  Switzerland
Geek
diyAudio Member

best amp designers Send a message via MSN to savu
My favorite would be Ralph Karsten from Atma-Sphere
Old 15th September 2020, 02:26 PM   #62
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't forget Rupert Neve and John LaGrou.

I'm pretty sure that more than 50% of the rock recordings in our history are through Neve circuit, and also more than 50% of the classical recordings post 90's are recorded through Millenia Media.
Old 15th September 2020, 02:33 PM   #63
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

I'm not aware of any power amplifier made by Rupert Neve itself. or its company...He's definitely the best in the mixing recording gear industry, but we could consider him a genious when talking about amplifier circuits theory in general and mostly in small signal amplifiers in particular .
At the same time youmade me think about the Mackie 1400VLZ and M1400 amp , but i don't know their designers...

Last edited by dreamth; 15th September 2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 15th September 2020, 02:37 PM   #64
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallickad View Post
Robert A Pease and Jim Williams, I don't think they designed audio amps. But they sure taught us what made them tick.
Both of them are sadly no longer with us, unfortunately.

Also, I would argue that the Marinair LO1166 output transformer that is largely responsible for the sound of the Neve 1073 microphone preamp is perhaps the single most influential transformer ever designed. Even though few studios still use a Neve 80xx series console, thousands of them use Neve 1073 preamps, either original or clones. It's truly amazing just how many influential recordings have passed through that circuit.
Old 15th September 2020, 05:05 PM   #65
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yours ;-)

Jan
Old 15th September 2020, 05:45 PM   #66
bogdan_borko is offline bogdan_borko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamth View Post
I'm not aware of any power amplifier made by Rupert Neve itself. or its company...He's definitely the best in the mixing recording gear industry, but we could consider him a genious when talking about amplifier circuits theory in general and mostly in small signal amplifiers in particular .
At the same time youmade me think about the Mackie 1400VLZ and M1400 amp , but i don't know their designers...
Something "off topic" but might be interesting. I've worked on the famous Neve 1073 mic preamp (clone) some years ago and know the circuit well, lot of tantal caps in the signal path, input and output transformer etc. Distortion is fairly low, about 0.05% but dominant harmonics are 3rd and 5th and you can clearly hear that it sounds like "effect box". The similar story is almost about every famous studio gear piece, it's about it's own sound, not the fidelity.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:53 PM   #67
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

The distortion in the 1073 rises at lower frequencies IIRC. Much of this is because they are running 80 mA of DC through a gapped output transformer.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:10 PM   #68
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

There are many good, but for me Nelson Pass is the master in solid state transistor amps, from his work at Treshold to his actual work at Pass labs and First Watt. From those i heard these stand out above the competition. Jean Hiraga is also very good, and the only one that comes near Nelson Pass for me.

Bruno Putseys (Hypex NCore/Purifi) is the one that makes Class D (also solid state) amps that i actually can stand (and i'm a class D hater say many) for hifi.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:17 PM   #69
bogdan_borko is offline bogdan_borko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H713 View Post
The distortion in the 1073 rises at lower frequencies IIRC. Much of this is because they are running 80 mA of DC through a gapped output transformer.
Yes, but nothing drastic if transformer is good.. as I said, it's an "effect box" with all sorts of nonlinear parts in the signal path, I'm just puzzled why people like the sound of odd harmonics... Maybe easily just a marketing driven vintage gear myth...
Old 15th September 2020, 08:20 PM   #70
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Or maybe not.Tape has H3 and H3 only...i like tape and lots of other guys like tape...The transformers are doing the real miracle.Just read Eric K Pritchard patents and you'll understand why!

best amp designersHide this!Advertise here!