Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Stability of an amplifier under capacitive loading
Stability of an amplifier under capacitive loading
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2020, 01:33 AM   #61
mjona is offline mjona  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

@knutn,

There are some differences between your simulation in comparison with a Tian plot. There are some examples of this such as here OITPC - Output inclusive TPC (not TMC)
Old 17th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #62
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

i have tried a simulation with KSA1381/KSC3503 and compared to the BD-types, the difference is very small. As long as I have not observed any stability in the built amplifiers (I have made 4 channels), I think the Miller capacitors are large enough.
Old 17th September 2020, 09:51 AM   #63
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was interested in the comment about inter-electrode capacitance in a BD139 and the comment that it could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer .

I could not find any actual info online when it came to the specifications by various companies but came across this-

Application Note No.024 by Infineon which is interesting -

AN024.fm - Parasitic_Capacitances_Bipolar_Transistors_AN024_I nfineon.pdf
Old 17th September 2020, 09:40 PM   #64
N101N is online now N101N
diyAudio Member

It is utterly reprehensible to call the indispensable interelectrode capacitances parasitic. Choose transistors with appropriate interelectrode capacitances for the task. The need for phase compensation is a palpable sign of functional disorder and design failure.
Old 17th September 2020, 10:08 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

N101N ---if you feel so strongly about the AN of this company why don't you complain to them not me ?
I am sure they will "react " to your criticism , in a perfect/ideal world there would be no capacitance between elements but we are still waiting for the Klingons to land on earth with their "capacitance cloaking device " and put things right on planet earth.

An old English fable has King Canute standing at the sea edge saying " I am King and I command the tide to go back "----it refused and wet his feet --naughty tide ! That was in the 12th Cent. --nothing has changed .

Those statistic are needed in many engineering situations some vital .

Last edited by duncan2; 17th September 2020 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 17th September 2020, 11:48 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

I was not complaining to you. A larger amplitude naturally conveys a larger current. The alternative is saturation, a nonfunctioning transistor.

Parasitic capacitances can be unintentionally added in the process of manufacturing, but that`s something else.
Old 18th September 2020, 09:08 AM   #67
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

I think it's better to deal with parasitic capacitances than with Maxwell's equations...
Old 18th September 2020, 09:12 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Parasitic capacitance or to put it more gently --"stray capacitance " is a natural occurring engineering phenomenon as we have not reached the stage of perfection.

When an engineer calculates the design of a tube/BJT/Mosfet etc etc this has to be taken into account when designing an electronic component .

Can you explain or show where "Perfect " components are manufactured in this world ?
Or are you complaining about the English grammar as being faulty ?

I could post long lines of university maths on this but will just post a Wiki explanation that keeps it simple.

If a Standard of perfection had been achieved then you could base your point on that , but it hasn't, people like engineering are not perfect.

A capacitor has resistance/capacitance/inductance --even a resistor contains other elements.

Parasitic element (electrical networks - Wikipedia)
Old 18th September 2020, 03:18 PM   #69
spladski is offline spladski  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Devices have capacitance. Less concerned what they are called. This is a more interesting comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N101N View Post
The need for phase compensation is a palpable sign of functional disorder and design failure.
Isn't that a bit harsh? A means to an end?

Last edited by spladski; 18th September 2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 18th September 2020, 04:15 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Anyway, for the BD139, we can firmly expect humongous nonparasitic interelectrode capacitances and parasitic stray capacitances making it unsuitable as a voltage amplifier.

spladski,
I want to call it a clear-cut formal announcement.

Stability of an amplifier under capacitive loadingHide this!Advertise here!