Cyrus 2 and Cyrus PSX - blows fuse in mains plug.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Not quite sure this is the correct place, as there are no solid state components in these units, but Cyrus 2 posts seem to occur here (mod move if wrong place))

Well that day has finally come, and I'm rather sad, that my Cyrus 2 and Cyrus PSX combo have stopped working, I suppose it should not come as a great surprise, I purchased these in 1992, still have original receipts and box from Radfords HiFi (there's a name from the past!).

(these were the last of the Cyrus 2, Tog, Metal Case, and it's the last serial number on both Cyrus2/PSX) - also has a had written note in the manuals to this effect.

A little bit of background, although on a HiFi stand, kept very clean after moving in the last few years (well in fact that's 16 years), they've not been used until now, so I was surprised they still worked. and to be honest with you all this crap streaming and mp3 music I've been listeing two all these years, it's like I've been deaf (for 16 years) and re-awaken in the last 5 months, it was COVID-19, which brough me back to HiFi and listening to great music again. I just cannot believe the listening pleasure and audio/stereo seperations I'm hearing, Cyrus all the way here, with 782, 781 and 780. I listen to vinyl and compact disk, and also DAC via streamers and FLAC with a few DACs I have.

So the big question...... I recently read the review, which states Cyrus 2, not bad for it's age (and that was without a PSX)

Old amplifier vs. new amplifier: Which is better? | What Hi-Fi?

I know that to send these back to Cyrus, and get them serviced and repaired is £600. Which is ouch! but I only get 3 months warranty, but should that give me another 28 years worth of listening ?

But, I could purchase a Cyrus One, for £629 for new. That gives me 12 months....

But then I also read on the forums, that peoples opinion that I would have to spend at least £1k to get the same today ?

I did look at the bay, and prices for a working pair seem to be £400, or Cyrus IIIi £600-£700 - but what worries me with the IIIi is they are no longer serviable from Cyrus....

So what are my options ? What would you do ?

It's quite a difficult decision to say good bye to such old friends....

These were sold as a pair, and the Cyrus2 hads had the fuses removed, I was tempted to replace the fuses and power up, but thought maybe I should not do that... but then if it's going to cost me £300 for a serviced working unit, maybe I should.... I don't know...

but both are the same age, and maybe need servicing anyway...

Again at present it's just when I toggle the switch, the light comes on for less than a second and goes off, and fuse in mains plug (3A) has blown.

Fuses in the PSX, and in the drawer are fine.

and this is also when connected and disconnected from Cyrus2.

Any ideas...

Thanks for reading my post.

So is the the PSX or Cyrus Two blowing the mains plug fuse?

Do you have the mains cable disconnected from the Cyrus Two (i.e. only mains to the PSX)?

If the PSX is blowing mains fuse, even when disconnected from the Two, then the problem may be just with the PSX.

May be possible to put the Two back in service on it's own by putting the fuses back in (leave the PSX disconnected), but would need to be checked over to make sure there are no issues, and a service to replace the old capacitors is always advisable on old kit.

So is the the PSX or Cyrus Two blowing the mains plug fuse?
PSX
Do you have the mains cable disconnected from the Cyrus Two (i.e. only mains to the PSX)?
Yes, PSX mains fuse blows
If the PSX is blowing mains fuse in 13A plug (but fitted with 3A fuse), even when disconnected from the Two, then the problem may be just with the PSX.
Yes PSX seems to be the issue, unable to test Cyrus2 without PSX.
May be possible to put the Two back in service on it's own by putting the fuses back in (leave the PSX disconnected), but would need to be checked over to make sure there are no issues, and a service to replace the old capacitors is always advisable on old kit.
Cyrus2 never been used without PSX, purchased as a pair 28 years ago.

I'm surprised that the fuse in the little compartment 3.15A does not blow, but maybe current does not go above 3.15A, only just above 3A.

Not sure if any mileage in trying with fuses back in, this is the same age as the PSX, and make cause more damage.

back to Cyrus for £600 ?

Last edited:
I may have spotted something here... all my HiFi equipment is plugged into a HiFi block, and weeks ago, the Cyrus units went off, and I thought the worst....

checked the fuses on the HiFi block, it was okay, but NEON indicator was off, all other hifi was off, so checked mains fuse it was okay, but wires were lose, I changed the 13A fuse for a 3A!!!

DOH!

Just checked the manual and the Cyrus PSX should have a 5A fuse!!!!!

Depends how the PSX switches on/off. The One/Two have their power switch on the secondary side.

If the PSX switches the mains supply it could just be in-rush current blowing an underrated fuse.
I have found the BS 1362 type mains plug fuses here in the UK are sensitive and should just be rated for the cable they supply. Even a 300va toroidal transformer will blow a 3A fuse after a couple of power cycles, and yet a similar current slow blow 20mm glass fuse will be fine.

In any case, if you could do a service yourself changing capacitors is not all that hard. Would be worth it if you intend on keeping them.

I think you are ignoring the fact that you were lucky but still need to do something with the devices.

There you have a fine motivation to take action.

I here you and I do understand, as I was surprised after all these years (16) it all still worked, so it is something to think about.

it's whether I stick with or purchase new or send to Cyrus for £600 service, although I do have a Pink Triangle DaCapo with ALL the filters, and I/O cards fitted I will be recapping soon, as it needs doing... and I will be doing that myself (I didn't tell you I'm an Electronic Engineer!).

So after doing that, I may do the Cyrus 2/PSX.

The two fuses in the PSX-R are 5amp ,I am holding a power supply in my hand as I post this and the transformer is massive and heavy more like 500VA.
For the public Cyrus stopped dealing directly with them and insisted you had to deal through a dealer after years with them that put me off .

By the way my XTSE2 and power supplies are all functioning correctly a very long time after purchase , I still have my Cyrus DAC but don't use it bought a --2Qute - Chordette DAC

@einsteinagogo

I have Cyrus 2 and use it daily. Later I bought PSX. In order to work together from the amp had to be removed two fuses (video in youtube) and thats all. So if you have now problems with PSX, just reinsert the fuses back to the amp and use it stand alone until you fix the PSX. The output power will drop of course, but worth the try...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.