Fake transistors from eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come across many fakes that seem to be die-cast ( pressurized extrusion molding) with a "powdered effect " rather than a smooth professional one showing a more costly machine tool.
You are talking about an injected/molded plastic case?
And its surface being grainy instead of polished smooth?

No big deal there, plastic parts are not machined so no direct involvement with a machine tool, and low cost precludes later *part* polishing, so for better or for worse surface finish will be same as that of injection die walls.

Most modern dies are made by an electro erosion process, which leaves surface pitted by millions of tiny sparks which eat metal away; that said it looks nice so many plastic products are left that way.

If you need a polished surface you polish the die and many times it´s done not for looks but to facilitate unmolding, but it´s an extra added process.

Most semiconductor makers go the extra step, because in the grand scheme of things cost dissolves into nothing but I can see a small new company sidestepping it which might be your case.

Sadly a faker is also a small new company :cool:

By no means I think your diodes are *fake* or "bad", they might simply be "second source" and in any case, as said above ,"testing will tell the truth".

@ga77a
i have thrown the package in the bin, but is was post marked from Scotland.

Maybe they have a warehouse there and address shown is just a "Legal/Tax" address.
Or they started with small orders.

Hey, Moog, Microsoft and tons others started from a home garage!!!

Last edited:
The point is why should you have to ?

This business isn't a kosher electronic distribution centre but sells many household items to the public , now he has added a sideline , would you buy your electronic components from Woolworth's just because they are a penny each ?

Directed to WG_SKI.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
would you buy your electronic components from Woolworth's just because they are a penny each ?

Directed to WG_SKI.

duncan2, I fully agree.
I know some people want to keep costs low as possible, but if you're in this DIY business, and you want your projects to be successful, reliable, and durable, you have to use quality components, purchased from reputable distributors.

There simply is no other way...no other option.

I managed several "repair facilities" over the decades, and in order to avoid litigation, lawsuits, and maintain a great reputation, I could not gamble with having some liability issue pop up.
The safety of repaired equipment handed back to the customer had to be "up to code", or else the business and its/my reputation would suffer.
I could sleep at night without having to worry about my work.

I've always said: "Do it right the first time, or why bother".

wiseoldguy said:
How contrasting with today's mentality! Many tradespersons have absolutely no pride in their work; they only care about the money they get paid.

For instance, the other week, two builders who are constructing a block of flats next to my house, jumped over to my top roof to build a sort of a column to support a concrete platform on which there is a 1Ton water storage tank. This concrete platform is supported only by two perpendicular walls and part of it is exposed like a cantilever. Yes, sloppy work by previous workers! To shorten the story, these workers wanted to add another support column under the cantilever part of the platform. But their impromptu column is not even vertical, it slants dangerously to the vertical, and the bricks are heavy for someone of my body built and age. This, so called, column, is held from crashing onto the roof by having wooden pieces hammered between the top brick and the concrete platform!

SLOPPY and DANGEROUS work on other people's property!

The point is why should you have to ?
/QUOTE]

If you happen to already have them, and need to determine if they are safe to use. It is more straightforward to test rectifiers than 2SC3281’s. The latter are more often faked than not, the former the other way around.

I don’t think I’ve ever purchased full wave block rectifiers from regular distributors, because they are so plentiful on the surplus market. My MO is to buy one or two from a batch that comes in, test them, then buy them out (or as many as I can reasonably use if they have a lot of them). Several other types of components I always get surplus, but subject to testing first before spending any real money.

Thats the problem is "surplus " really surplus ?

Now if it was ex USAF/US Army/Navy /NASA/Jet Propulsion Lab etc then no problems but a shop that sells household goods ,appliances etc and adds semiconductors ?
No I am on Wiseoldtech on this subject .

Years ago before Mouser and other major USA semiconductor suppliers had off-shoots in the UK I dealt directly with the USA , it took a while but I still have the paperwork telling me it was cleared for export by Homeland Security.

I am obviously a different generation in my thinking but I am too old to change now I will always deal with the "big boys " .

Account Closed
Joined 2018
it doesnt pay tradesmen to do a perfect job, they want to come back and fix it again and keep on getting paid.

And that type of thinking is absolutely rediculous.
Firstly, it goes against their reputation by generating "callbacks", and being greedy for money - something quite common these days.

Why would anyone want to sacrifice their reputation that way?

A friend of mine requested a (highly advertized) repair service to come to the home and do a relatively simple heater repair.
The goof that came out warned the homeowner of "other problems" which would require installing a whole new heater for $$$$!
All that was needed was a blower fan replacement! (about 15 min. job and $115 cost)

Had my friend researched online "reviews" and that "rip off" website, he would have seen the huge amount of disgusted customers.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Originally Posted by [B said:
wiseoldguy[/B]

How contrasting with today's mentality! Many tradespersons have absolutely no pride in their work; they only care about the money they get paid.

Listen, I've always done my best service/work because I see no value to cheating the customer for greed purposes.
Honest, proper work always results in rave reviews, and I get paid accordingly.
I am satisfied, the customer is satisfied.
Perhaps this is "old school" thinking, but I'm not about to change my way of doing things.

Even years later, I still get "thank you" emails, christmas cards, and various "review" websites contain "Five Star" ratings for my work.
I didn't ask for it, it came naturally.

Yes, it makes me feel good, as well it should.
It re-inforces my dedication to my profession.

@duncan2 i dont know if india make components is any better than china !!!

@jmfahey i dout its part of a "global operation", probably just a couple of guys selling from their garage.

@nigelwright7557 trust me brother as someone who has to guarantee their work for one year to a primary contractor and local authority/ housing association, it is essential that the work is up to spec, if anything goes wrong it costs me personally time/money/materials.

@wiseoldtech hi wise, hope your well
"it goes against their reputation by generating "callbacks" " 100% correct

wiseoldguy said:
Listen, I've always done my best service/work because I see no value to cheating the customer for greed purposes.
Honest, proper work always results in rave reviews, and I get paid accordingly.
I am satisfied, the customer is satisfied.
Perhaps this is "old school" thinking, but I'm not about to change my way of doing things.
My post was written in admiration of your way. I can only admire it for it is a work attitube that is very badly needed.

Old workmanship is art in itself! Just have a look at this:
Steam Pumping Station Papplewick - Nottingham - YouTube

Last edited:
@duncan2 i dont know if india make components is any better than china !!!

@jmfahey i dout its part of a "global operation", probably just a couple of guys selling from their garage.

@nigelwright7557 trust me brother as someone who has to guarantee their work for one year to a primary contractor and local authority/ housing association, it is essential that the work is up to spec, if anything goes wrong it costs me personally time/money/materials.

@wiseoldtech hi wise, hope your well
"it goes against their reputation by generating "callbacks" " 100% correct

I never said they did , they are just trying to compete with China , my point was the owner probably has relatives in India as Glasgow has a large Indian /Pakistani population and every one I knew there used used to deal with the "home country " rather than elsewhere when ordering supplies ,there are local Bank,s of India and Pakistan where they can get loans ( interest free in the BoP ) to set up businesses one was round the corner from me when I lived there.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Affecting a lot of the way business is run these days has to do with both the mindset of companies, along with political influences.
Consumerism has been tainted with the "throw-away" mentality in a gradual way as well.

Face it, things have changed, and not necessarily in a good way.
Add in the wonderful internet, with its plethora of independant hucksters (auction sites, etc) and you're left with mind-boggling choices which can lead to untold problems.

Luckily, there are ways around all that slop, if you insist on quality - and naturally it'll cost more.
Which then follows the old saying - you get what you pay for.

are these pairs fake or original?

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_202738.jpg
    IMG_20200819_202738.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20200819_202714.jpg
    IMG_20200819_202714.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200819_202644.jpg
    IMG_20200819_202644.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200819_202611.jpg
    IMG_20200819_202611.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 149
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.