NAD c325BEE midrange grating my ears

Hi everyone,
I’ve just bought a used c325BEE amp and it’s in excellent condition. I assume it’s working as it should (but I base that on its overall condition which looks cared for). It’s a very musical amp and I like the speed and detail it brings.
Used with an original Arcam Alpha & Wharfedale Diamond 9.1’s
The problem:
Is that the midrange actually hurts my ears at certain frequencies: voices/electric guitars whatever.
Is there anything I can do/can be done to alleviate this?
I am of the understanding there are no caps in the signal path so that leaves me wondering about whether it’s worth pursuing improving this amp - the Nait 3 could be tamed by a couple of Elna Silmic’s in the signal path which replaced the originals.
Is this nad amp different to that?

Tube output stage on the pre-amp?

Replace the bridge rectifier components?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
These aren't the attributes usually associated with amplifiers that are appropriately designed or within spec. The bias could have become incorrectly set over time but that's about it.

Changing a couple of caps isn't going to tame anything in an amplifier and is most likely all in your head. Unless the old ones were faulty or they'd used the wrong dielectric ceramic cap in the signal path (highly doubtful).

I'd attribute the kind of sound you're experiencing to the speakers. Not the amplifier.

Is this nad amp different to that?

Hard to say. It could be the basic circuit, some passive components, any number of things. It is much more productive to improve amps which already do the basics right than battle with desperate cases. Luckily it's an amp that is easy to sell.

There is also a chance that by improving the amps you are trying to compensate for something else in your system. Perhaps worth trying out a different source or speakers.

Last edited:
Hi, many thanks for your replies: I am using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1’s on proper stands etc. The room is not overly bright or forward (thick carpet throughout & thick canvas curtains each side (it’s in a converted loft so hence the curtains either side). Lots of plaster boarding & well insulated. There’s even a few cushions kicking around.
Now I also tried it with some Mission 752 (original not the Freedom version) and it still could be heard on those as well. So that’s what made wonder if it’s the amp. I should mention that the Diamionds aren’t noted for their harsh midrange. This is why I’m wondering about the electronics.

Hi everyone, thank you again for all your replies: you are very kind ��
On the tone controls: using the nad I did two things:
1) turned down the treble: it helped a little but really just diminished the sound overall - masked what was the problem but also the sound of the voice/instruments I wanted to hear.
2) plugged in my iPhone with Spotify premium and adjusted the eq just on that (the tone controls on the nad defeated). Again, just mucked up the sound balance in a way I didn’t like and left out what was important.

On multibit source: the Arcam Alpha cdp is a multibit chip but does over sample (I believe some people mod this player to turn into a nos player).

I’ll have a play around some more with the source - I do have a Dacmagic 100 to plug the Arcam into so I’ll see what happens when I do that (the Dacmagic is quite a bright/forward sound though so.... )

The diamonds do have an elevated lower treble, according to stereophiles measurements and the 752 originals were never known for being particularly easy on the ears, especially through the treble.

Aside from the elevated treble though the diamonds don't present with the typical issues that would cause listening fatigue. It's possible the tweeter is struggling with the low crossover point.

Do they sound this way at low volume? As in the volume you'd listen to at 2am not to wake the neighbours.

From the Internet:
Vsl
A year ago I bought a 9.1, a silver color, a month later I discovered that one of the treble speakers is an ingoing one, extremely rarely, crackling on squeaky sounds, a defect in the treble head.
RE: VSL
Wharfedale has a problem with the buzzer. It rarely appears on ordinary music. Easily detected at medium to high volumes with a 1-2 kHz test sweep signal, pink noise in 1/3 octave band, eg. disc Alan Parsons & Stephen Court - SOUND CHECK (MFSL), 43 tracks, especially for revealing resonances. Resonance at a frequency of ~ 1.2 kHz, behind the band of the tweeter.

Check the frequency response of the amplifier.
Check the tone of each speaker 1/10 of the power listen.

Audiometry:
The hearing curve changes with age and in certain occupations related to noise.
Turn on the equalizer and set equal volumes at different frequencies.

Hi again everyone, thankyou again for all the pointers: I haven’t tried the ‘frequency sweep’ thing yet: I assume I can use my phone for this with an app and simply listen with my ears? (I don’t have any measuring kit like mics etc).
In the meantime I’ve got a pair of well looked after Mission 772’s coming to compare with the Wharfedales: it may be the speaker/amp is a mismatch.
Cheers
Pete

More reviews:
@frost evgeny, 19.09.2010
Advantages:
Sufficient power, can be used as a power amplifier.

Disadvantages:
The preamplifier is so-so, "lathers" the sound, adds mid frequencies from itself. As I found out, I used the emu 0202 external sound card instead of the pre.

A comment:
I use it as a power amplifier.

I always thought the Diamonds were aptly named ie; they sound hard as diamonds.
NAD should be a pleasant easy to listen to Amp, as that's NAD's signature sound.
You have no other speakers on hand to try this with ?
Most of us have a few extras.. it's part of the addiction.

Bit of an update but the Mission 772’s are smoother. However, I’m inclined to try something else (used) when funds permit. After that it’s a case of selling the nad & trying something like an Arcam A85 as that gets good rep for smoothness. As long as it doesn’t send me to sleep mind!