Pioneer six 737 refurb questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I have a pioneer sx 737 receiver amp which apart from a slightly crackly volume knob (which I am sure a squirt of deoxit it would fix) works fine and appears to be in good condition.
Having said all that, I know this amp has never been serviced or restored and have been thinking that a basic recap is well deserved and overdue.
I have never done this before and am no electronics expert, but I have built speaker x-overs and can read basic schematics and use a soldering iron.
My questions are as follows:
Am I mad to consider doing this myself?
if you were me and slightly daunted by doing everything, which basics would you tackle to get the best results for the smallest work to gain confidence and hopefully improved sound (power supply boards only)?
I am slightly nervous about investing a fortune into something that may not go according to plan!

Thanks for your time

Paul

Looking at the top with the lid removed the two large capacitors near the mains transformer should not present a problem nor should the capacitors on the power supply board .

As you have said -quote "I have never done this before " --do NOT touch any of the capacitors in the tuner section.

First of all try replacing the two big capacitors then check to see if your receiver is still working okay before you proceed further.

Having said all that, I know this amp has never been serviced or restored and have been thinking that a basic recap is well deserved and overdue.
I have never done this before and am no electronics expert, but I have built speaker x-overs and can read basic schematics and use a soldering iron.

Over at Audiokarma, there's a Pioneer audio only section with lots of threads concerning the SX-737. There's even a parts list with replacment caps & transistors etc.

Pioneer Audio | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

jeff

I said dont touch the tuner section because if it is working okay even small changes can change the frequency or stability of the tuner .

If it doesn't work okay then make sure you replace the capacitors with exactly the same value don't "up-rate " them and only the electrolytic ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.