Single Ended CFA

Hi, ok thank you

Did you measure with higher bias current and/or with higher output levels?

What would you suggest in order to achieve higher output power, doubling BJT´s and MOSFETS?

This isnt too easy, as i see it, as you want to see current in both of them and you want to use emitter/source resistors for both of them in order to spread the load evenly

I love it - this is a very nice looking amplifier schematic. I was surprised by the two pole compensation around one device - in that I've found in simulations that it's been necessary to use a compound (two device) VAS to be needed for full benefit from two-pole taken around it - but simulations is not an actual build which you have done.

I did detailed simulations few months ago, so I don`t remember quite well, but the solution is "simulation driven". I could try the difference, C61 to output bjt emitter?

Hi, ok thank you

Did you measure with higher bias current and/or with higher output levels?

What would you suggest in order to achieve higher output power, doubling BJT´s and MOSFETS?

This isnt too easy, as i see it, as you want to see current in both of them and you want to use emitter/source resistors for both of them in order to spread the load evenly

I`m not considering larger power it`s a small class A amp for home use and efficient speakers.
I`m more interested in suggestions for different operating points and compensation that could be better than like it is right now. I allready tried some things..

Thanks Bigun, Mr. Triatic and Bogdan,

yes, I understand its a prototype. If a "Fearless Amp Builder" wants to try it out, here is an improved one, with plenty of options for components.

regards
prasi

Attachments

• SECFA-SCH.png
    SECFA-SCH.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 459
  • SECFA-LAY.png
    SECFA-LAY.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 445
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Bigun, Mr. Triatic and Bogdan,

yes, I understand its a prototype. If a "Fearless Amp Builder" wants to try it out, here is an improved one, with plenty of options for components.

regards
prasi

Prasi, great this version looks much better.
There are 2 controls I`m gonna put on my version that could be useful and you could place 2 pin connectors on a pcb as a option.
First is to adjust the bias current with 3-4 position, rotary switch and second is toggle switch for bypassing degeneration resistor and changing damping factor. See the attached schematic for example.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 02.png
    02.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 425
On the proto, I'm changing bias with a pot it's on wire, not shielded and there is no problem, cable it's not sensitive to any kind of noise. I think it's a good idea to have these controls on front panel to play with different sound characters and performance points to suit wider range of speakers..
Btw, any ideas for lowering 3rd harmonic?
Tonight I will send data for differences in distortion between BD140, BF872 and KSA1220 and 4 ohm load measurements on higher bias at full power.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_143650.jpg
    IMG_20200703_143650.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Prasi, great this version looks much better.
There are 2 controls I`m gonna put on my version that could be useful and you could place 2 pin connectors on a pcb as a option.
First is to adjust the bias current with 3-4 position, rotary switch and second is toggle switch for bypassing degeneration resistor and changing damping factor. See the attached schematic for example.
Cheers.

will bypassing the degeneration impact the compensation requirements ?

Btw C13, output cap if it`s on pcb, it will consume lot of space, plus bypass caps..10mF for 8 Ohm speakers it`s an minimum imo. I`ve made separate pcb for ouput caps bank. As you wish this is just my opinion.

Perhaps there’s nothing wrong with the simple 1+1 output cap but it means having this big can on there and I agree, aesthetically it’s ugly on the small pcb. One option is a chassis mounted cap. Another option is a collection of medium sized caps in parallel. Vladimirk made a separate pcb with a circle of caps; he had some interesting comments on this:
Rails Decoupled SE Amplifier

Yes Bigun, I agree with Vladimir`s observations..
First, simulation distortion results, for later comparing, with 4 Ohms load, 1.45A idle current, about 25W peak or about 12W it`s more than 300B SE :D

Gray : degeneration resistor 0R1.
Red : degeneration resistor bypassed.

Attachments

• 03.png
    03.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 349
1.4A idle current, load 3R8 with output bjt, degeneration resistor bypassed :

18Vpp, 12Vpp, 8Vpp, 4Vpp, 2Vpp, 1Vpp

spike around 17KHz is a measurement / soundcard artifact..

Attachments

• 18Vpp 3R9.png
    18Vpp 3R9.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 12Vpp 3R9.png
    12Vpp 3R9.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 8Vpp 3R9.png
    8Vpp 3R9.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 4Vpp 3R9.png
    4Vpp 3R9.png