Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Any help?  First attempt at a "hybrid" using depletion MOSFETS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2020, 06:39 AM   #71
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Bingo! Thanks for that
Old 1st August 2020, 02:48 PM   #72
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Out of curiosity, What would be an appropriate inductance if I was to try and choke load it instead?

1mH? Am I close?

Thanks everyone!
I was in the same boat until I realised that a constant current source made from a transistor or two is often a better choice than an inductor (smaller, cheaper, more linear). Nelson Pass has a few CCS suggestions in his papers.

Oh, 1 mH seems like way too low, but I didn't do the math.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:41 PM   #73
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Ya I'm starting to think a CCS would be easier. I could even use a second pair of the same MOSFETs... 1mH might work for the PS filter though instead of 1R.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:27 PM   #74
tikiroo is offline tikiroo  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If the inductance was below the source (see the MoFo thread) you need upwards of 30 mH depending on how low you want to go in frequency. With the inductance above the drain, the impedance is much higher, extremely high in your case as you have no local feedback, and it only becomes practical if you can use a centre-tapped choke (e.g. the primary of a 115+115 power transformer) in balanced mode, where you can get tens or hundreds of Henries.

A CCS works well but you don't get the extra voltage swing and efficiency is still half of an inductor loaded output. That then evolves to a modulated CCS where the sum of the current in the top and bottom halves is kept constant. It is then effectively operating push-pull but without the second harmonic cancellation as the input signal only drives one half. The ALPHA Nirvana on this forum is one example.
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:12 PM   #75
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Ya?

Today I got finally 120V 300W bulbs. I had to drive over 100 km round trip to get them - Seems Sylvania doesn't sell them in Canada anymore.

The amp is improved with them though.

Next my idea will be to swap the MOSFET and the bulb to make it a source follower. I think that will lower the Zout and the input capacitance, yes?
Old 4th August 2020, 03:10 AM   #76
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

incandescent lamps are going the way of the dodo bird, same with compact flourescents..

Any help?  First attempt at a "hybrid" using depletion MOSFETSHide this!Advertise here!