With one makes more sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Left side, one 1000 watts RMS amplifier, heavy, and with high consumption of energy, this 1000 watts RMS amplifier do not distort (special unit) and is connected with no resistance cable to a 1000 Watt RMS Speaker, when full power goes to speaker, he move 1 inch maximum (this is special too).

Rigth side, one 100 watts RMS amplifier, not heavy, and with low consumption of energy, this 100 Watts RMS amplifier do not distort (also special), and is connected with no resistance cable to 10 speakers, a series parallell conection makes same impedance the bigger one (special too), and all the 8 inches speakers move 1 inch maximum (this is special also).

No tricks here, impedance the same, ressonance the same and the 10 speaker rigth side do not cancell sound one each other( those are really special!), all them, same distance from floor related the bigger one.

Wich one makes more sound, more air pression, more molecules working, going bigger distance, people feeling high volume?

If Left one, please, explain me why?

If rigth one, Please, explain me why?

Of course i have one idea and the last question will show what i think:

Why people is running to more and more power?

Can you all, friends, forum users, not so big friends, and whole audio maniacs, please vote on it!...not so stupid!, just because all people runs to power.... must have some reason?

Please, let me know, and change my mind ,and i will never forget you.... try to create some theory, or explain a real one. I like kidding too

Carlos

Some scratch...yes, i know!

I Know my scratches are awfull
Also i know i am not a detail man
Also have an idea how much idiot are my scratches
But will have some image.... whole people loves it!

Carlos

Attachments

• with one.jpg
    with one.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 374
Well your ten 8" speakers are equivalent to 2.5 15" drivers.

All things being equal (highly unlikely) the ten 8" speakers will
be 4dB more efficient than the 15", so the 15" should manage
6dB more midrange level with 1kW versus 100W with 10 x 8".

But excursion limited output of the 10x8" is 8dB higher (again
assuming unlikely equivalence) which would need a lot more
than 100W to exploit.

:) sreten.

people run 1KW amps because the number is larger than 100 or 10. As the descision to buy an amp is not made on a scientific knowledge base but following stupid marketing ideas they tend to buy the larger number.

Manufacturers of spekaers also need to make speakers that do have large numbers written on the carton they are sold in. So they make speakers that yould need 1000W, but how would you manage to build a 1kw speaker with high effieciency, in addition it needs to be cheap because of this ****ing idiot kultureless capitalism. So the ineffiecent cheap hughe number speaker could need some of those 1kW to do any sound.

Else i do not think the multi speakers idea is a better solution than one speaker with higher efficiency for reasons you allready have in your posting. They are no point source.

Very happy too see you here till

I was waiting for you.

You are completely rigth, i agree entirely, stupid Marketing.... that's it...but, someone can think different and change a little our idea, or may change a lot too... do not know.

I will be happy to hear more people ideas, special if different from ours.

regards till, you are always wellcome

Carlos

Here is my take on why you would need 1000W amps in you home HIFI.

Imagine a not so ideal speaker. It’s a large driver (15” or 18” with large linear excursion capabilities) that sits a smaller box than you would normally place it in. Now you want this driver to play sub bass loud, so you need some sort of EQ in the sub frequency range.

Maybe you need 12 dB = 4 times, so your rail voltage needs to be 4 times higher comparing to the amplifier playing into an ideal box where no EQ is needed for sub bass performance.

If the Ideal box amplifier has 40V rails (about 100W RMS into 8 ohms) while your not so ideal system needs an amplifier with 4*40 = 160 V rails = 1.6 kW in 8 ohms not to clip……

Of cause there will be very few commercial amplifiers that big, but with a not so well regulated power supply, the amp may produce peaks very large. And it may even have enough power supply to deliver about 1000W RMS.

So I guess that there is a market for bigger amps, and not just because there are more zeroes in 1000 comparing to 100 and even 10

But I’m probably the wrong guy to ask, since I’m planning an active speaker with 800 – 1000 W for Sub bass and upper bass simply because I want a smaller box.

Actually I think this is all a matter of design criteria. A bigger box will not need such a large amplifier, but because of the higher WAF (Wife acceptance factor) I have been told that smaller EQed subwoofers are getting popular around the world ;) .... at least they are more popular with my girlfriend than big boxes.

\Jens

so the message is you need showoff amps for girlie-man boxes.

Sorry, i never experienced this WAF thing in real life. Noone ever told me something against using speakers as large as i want. In case the wife has no other problems she may need a psychater. Or she simply is the wrong one.

I prefer the sensitive speaker and to avoid suboptimal conditions. Isn´t high power and high damping factor nothing than a cure for a shelfmade disease called crap speaker?

Nope – the message is that the world is full of compromises and tradeoffs. In these modern times where a “good” watt cost less than 20 years ago, people are offered one more choice when designing amps and speakers - but at the same time there are more complex tradeoffs to consider.

IMO it’s not a question about “girlie-man boxes” needing “a real mans-amp” or ”girlie-man amps” needed to drive “real-man” boxes.

So make you choice, and think about what tradeoffs you have to deal with. I also have to think about the amount of space my subs will use, as I live in a small apartment.

On another note – who are you to be the judge over what’s good and bad, after all the fun of DIY is the fact that we have a chance to mess about with projects until we find the sound we like. I can always use my amps to drive a “man-box-speaker”, where as you are stuck with a “girly-amp” with not enough punch to drive anything than a similar speaker to what it does now.

I'm not a moderator, but “Crap” is a very harsh word, and even though I frequently speak it in Danish, I humbly suggest you keep it off the forum pages, as some of our native English speaking friends might be offended by it.

\Jens

Its quite simple :

You can make a 1kw sub with the bass performance of a 100w
sub ten times the size, but you do need a very special driver.

I agree with JR, compromises and trade offs are allways a
personal view, and IMO compact high power subwoofers
are something many people would want.

High quality small cabinets are allways easier than large
cabinets, having said that the best cost/performance of
subamps seems to be around 250W, so IMO this is a
good power level to choose.

:) sreten.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Carlos,

Your sketches are great. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words (although, I know you have those as well:) ).

Your senerio also depends on the efficiency of the speakers. That is, how effectively elctrical power (in Watts) is transformed to acoustical power (in acoustic Watts) by the speaker. Most direct radiator loudspeakers will be between 0.1% to 2% effcient will most of the home audio type speakers being around 0.5% efficient and the pro type speakers being around 1% or higher (a generalization).

So assuming the efficiencies of the speakers to be the same and no mutual coupling affects, and the dispersion patterns are the same, I would suspect that streten's analysis is right-on.

It's ok to me Jens, and thanks

Yes, i am convinced now, that in the situation you explain ,is justified and correct to use very high power amplifiers.

But for normal use, home use, without sub woofer ,i suppose no need so much power.

I think also , that more efficient speakers, soft to move, long trown units, can also be good with lower power amplifier units.

But i am sure, thinking about you said, that in this special situation, power can be better and also needed.

thank you

Carlos

Jens, i apologize if you took my words personal, i may be a bit biased today because of the Fred issue...

I hold it with the low power high SPL systems, class a with more than lets say 50W does not make much sense for me and i like my hot running diy amplifiers. But everyone the way he expects to become happy.

Another question come into my mind.

If those things are personnal, and also subjective, also musical taste is different, why we bother one each other?

First we make our family hear our music, old people feels modern music as hidraulical hammers, the ones broke street pavement.

Also we spend many transistor inside one chip, or discrete transistors, field effects transistors, valves, power supplies, and we put all this thing inside one room to reflect all waves and make a big mass, when we can have a soft, small, good compliance driver, near our ears, in a confortable way, without bother nobody, no tunning, no formulas to speakers, no power, no reflections, class A, single transistor and 1.5 volts battery?

Sometimes i think myself stupid, yesterday a friend brings to me a cheap Aiwa headphone.... i put into my system pre amplifier, class A output.... unbeatable sound...nothing can match that sound.

I do not know about you friends, but i will cannot look at my face in a mirror for some days, because i will perceive myself very bad.

I think we are going with the Marketing winds.... you will discover how stupid are those things, when some amplifier scaped from your hands and fall over your feet finger.

And now, was proven that may be good I Kilowatt to have deep bass!

Things is becoming very complicated to me.

Do you think this is ironic, no, it is not, only i open all the subjective defenses of my brain to see clearly what is going on.

A very good headphone may cost more than all our heavy equipments, this one can be the answer....please, let me think this is correct, if not, when someone in the street spell word stupid, as fast as a ray, as a reflected movement i will say
- I'm here!

Carlos

Hi,

I have a set of Cerwin Vega VS-150's 15" sub, 6.5" mid, 1" soft dome tweeter, at the time I bought them they were rated as being the most efficient available (out of everything listed in "stereo review: buyers guide" I believe was the name).

So they handle 400W rms each (probably alot more)...

My old amp (smoked now)....120W into 8 ohm...200W into 4ohms (which my speakers are)...I was so dissapointed with the lack of power comming from this amp since day 1 I started dreaming of building my own amp for them.

Now.....could never turn volume up more than half way....with a song that has good bass, you start turning up the volume.....it starts comming to life.....then you notice power dropping off on the bass......distortion.....fuse blows....just when it was starting to really annoy the neighbores.

So I ask you, as efficient as they are, what would you power them with? Personally I'm leaning towards an amp that can work them hard without complaints.....was aiming for a 500W rms X2 design (there's the kilowatt amp).

I think whatever speakers you do have, you should have an amp that can feed them as required...otherwise someone will always want to hear it louder....turn it up more....clipping ensues...people go deaf and speakers get blown.

They do fill a room with sound with very little input, but you dont' really start to think you're at a live rock concert until you turn it up and can really feel it, which believe or not is why I got them.

So I think you need both high efficiency, high power...

hmmm.......10X8" woofers....while ignoring the math of it which I admitt I'm not familiar with..it could be said that's equivalent to 1 bigger speaker...but as far as moving air goes...10 billion mousquitos isn't going to sound like a MIG taking off with the afterburners on, they'll just sound like 10 billion mousquitos, or throwing 8 little rocks in the lake doesn't make the same kind of wave as 1 big rock would.

Comments?

All said, I'm a fan of big hard hitting bass I don't care if it's dance music or heavy metal, I like to be able to really turn it up, and enjoy the sound and feel of nice "clean" power. So I think you need all three.

Why should you go with less power and cheaper amps simply because you have a more efficient speaker.....seems like buying a race car and driving it slow?

Since I brought it up what kind of amp would you drive my speakers with? Why?

Since I'm stirring the waters anyway, can anyone explain why changing from 12 gauge to 10 gauge monster cables that are even a few feet longer could make the bass alot more prominent? It hit alot lower and alot louder with the 10 gauge, same type of wire, same connectors...etc. I don't really understand how that can be.. Should I try 2 gauge?

Thanks.
Chris.

You idea is interesting, another point of view

But, my idea is, alike you said, no good drive ferrari always first gear, hard to control this rocket on the streets....also you powerfull system can hold enormous peaks... this is a melting machine! and not social adequated if you have not an enormous land with your house in the middle and trees and fences to absorb sound, people that hear your sound will feel the smell of sulfur and will think in the Red one with his big knife to hit people.

When enormous cinema used (i am 52 years old), some year ago and we feel loud, sometimes too much... i never forget that image of the panzer tank coming to us and all people goes down the ccinema seats.... and panzer passes and sound will go from front to sides and them to behind us....total of 200 watts!

If in an apartment cannot use it.... in my country neighboors go to your door an asked first with kind, to reduce.... second with strengh, third together police!

Reason why, here, apartaments are made of concrete, cement and stones.... some iron fibers (in proportion to whole building are only thin fibers)....our floor (ceiling for the one downstairs) is 6 inches thickness, and when long as 15 meters is like a bass drum, and ressonates at 10 hertz (the afraid zone)... this way, no reasonable that power.

Of course, enormous house, whole family with some earing problems, in mid of big field....no problem...but no need..... can have more volume in headphone... and if need vibration... can use that heavy power to drive solenoids atached to the bed feet to move you up and down when bass sounds (kidding, and exagerating, but i have a bed shacking in my room...but only use 20 watts rms having more to use, i do not do).

This way one big stone compared to 100 smaller stones i can not imagine result...but with music.... those small speakers, all them tuned to 35 hertz or less, compared to the big one, let the big one ashamed!.... area pumping air is bigger, more air particles moving.... this is bigger sound too.

Its a matter of taste, a matter of subjectivity.... only having fun talking my ideas and having fun to see other people different ideas, normally all them related to the enormous monsters they have at home and need to justify this, to avoid think they do without think too much if real needed or not.

Same way, if on father, the man from Christian church, if he someday discover that the God he believed whole life is on vacations those 3 million years past.... and not controling our lives... and he passes whole life talking to nobody, because telefone was disconnected to receive calls.... he will think in suicide or will denie that God is on vacantion. (just an example)

You, having power amplifier, having paying a lot of money for it, cannot easy accept my idea, because if you accept, you will give you a certificate of no good title.... you do not want to receive this certificate, of course, none of us... only some of us that decide to block our censored system.... to be out of ourselves and think deep and more clear.

We normally make things because other do.... we are alike a tribe of apes, we are descendents of apes, our ancestral as science say. And we go doing.... without control our movements...he do, i do.... and all of us get married.... and this is entirely stupid!.... made by religions this rule, if not, who will take care and help the mother with the children if no one knows who"s the father?... this way on man and one woman, this will control everything... and cannot betray, must have fidelity, can not jump above the fences and meetings under the threes.... this way, family starts as society cells, organize by religion people that stop and think a lot and say (God told us to married one woman and.....)

No natural... you will be boered, normally it happens... and you will keep that thing going, and going because children, because house, because peace, because do not want change one problem to another (one woman with their owm problems to another with different problems, but always you will face problems).... but we go doing.... i am an complete damn stupid...i married three times..... once is normal human error, twice is stupid, third has no denominations, is abomination or something alike....but we do wrong things all the time.

Can you eat beans everyday... day by day, all your entire life... and hear same music, day by day, all your entire life....how can you have together, and make love, and hear same voice and ideas whole life?

So, marriage is good and needed to control society, because if someone has no detected father, and is ugly, and born with defects...no one will take care of this children, except some angels in earth...God make the children alike you.... because you love yourself.... if you sleep with the hand on your head.... children will do the same....if you have some black point in your bum...theres the point in your son... this way easy to love him, so easy as love yourself... thats the trick...no point?....no similarities... she jumped the fence!

Thats it, my friend.... i made whole world voyage to explain how we do foolishes because all people does.... because is gimmick, is in the mode, because is good, pretty and usual...because shinny, or heavy or big (this is correlated to sexual organ size.... the one that is well provided do not need big houses, enormous sounds, and giant bikes...others can need...or not)

To me was an interesting exercise to tell you stories. have fun with your thunder bass machine, and be happy, but please!... do not move to my building!!

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.