Cyrus amp mysterious behaviour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello chaps, I've been reading some of the other threads on this forum with interest to see if anyone had had a similar problem. I didn't really find anything so I hope you don't mind me asking for advice. Some electronics experience here but a beginner with audio systems (except for plugging in and listening).

My Cyrus 8 (vs2) has been misbehaving. It was happily running for years then occasionally it started displaying the sequence of lights shown in the attached picture. Then sometime later when it was switched on it would only display these lights with no audio output, except for a small pop when the output was enabled.

Then I took it back to England and had a professional look at it and annoyingly it worked perfectly there and for a few more weeks it ran fine here. Then back to the strange sequence of lights and no output.

Cyrus gave me the very helpful response of "sounds like a needs a service". Do any of you have experience with these types of amps? I'm just looking for advice about where to start fault finding so as not to break anything. Thanks!

Attachments

• Cyrus8vs2.jpg
    Cyrus8vs2.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 282
Please See my post- " Help to my CYRUS iii" I have the same problem whit a 26 years old, CYRUS iii, and according to my technician is a problem of the front pannel EPROMM codes; I had wrote to Cyrus Uk and todl me that they have not give support anymore about this Eprom codes ans Apmplifier.

If you find a solution please tell me

Kennygp

Hello chaps, I've been reading some of the other threads on this forum with interest to see if anyone had had a similar problem. I didn't really find anything so I hope you don't mind me asking for advice. Some electronics experience here but a beginner with audio systems (except for plugging in and listening).

My Cyrus 8 (vs2) has been misbehaving. It was happily running for years then occasionally it started displaying the sequence of lights shown in the attached picture. Then sometime later when it was switched on it would only display these lights with no audio output, except for a small pop when the output was enabled.

Then I took it back to England and had a professional look at it and annoyingly it worked perfectly there and for a few more weeks it ran fine here. Then back to the strange sequence of lights and no output.

Cyrus gave me the very helpful response of "sounds like a needs a service". Do any of you have experience with these types of amps? I'm just looking for advice about where to start fault finding so as not to break anything. Thanks!

Last edited:
Seems like for some reason the micro has gone nuts. There is a small chance it is related to PS or interface issues, but i am not holding my breath.

Otoh, it can make a cute micro or even Arduino project. All it does is reading the buttons, the encoder, the IR receiver and the protection circuit and controlling a bunch of lights, a few relays, an electronic pot and from what i remember turns the bias on or off when the power button is pressed.

Certainly not worth wasting time for a repairman but if it is for fun and self-education, why not?

Thank for you aportation. and thhanks so much in advance. "My HI fi Technician" spoke about the arduines, and the probability that someone has done before for this Amp.
Sorry but i dont have any expeirence about it ; Questions : if i get a old one from Scrapping and replace the front panel could be works well , other issue, Who or where i can obtain somebody to do and arduino to replace the actual micro , in which way install on it.
Who is Otoh ?

Do you know some idea about i have solve this problem?

Thank you

Agustin

You have to start learning AVR programming language, usually C or Assembler. There is also BASCOM (Basic based). It's not difficult. I've done it for decoding DMX in lighting projects. An AVR has inputs (where You link Your buttons) and outputs (Where You link source selection and Leds). It's just a matter of putting a few lines together in a loop testing the button status and activating the corresponding outputs and leds. I would add also some debouncing code for the button routines (Imagine You press 2 or more buttons at the same time)
As what the remote concerns, You'll have to decode the protocol in order to mimic it, or use some other type of well known remote.
You can find also code written for this. A scope connected to the IR detector would help here.

Thank you MAACO, it is interesting this way could befor me a future project; i would like to learn a solve this kind of issue but thinking in a a practical term, i like to find the way to solve more easy and fast or find spare part or other solution, if someone has now this knowledge or has done before, or can do it to me.( im looking for in other Hi-Center in Spain , but is so old the Ampl)

Amplifier works , when i get that star during his inical cheking well , duriing around 1 hours, after thta is blocked. i f i wait 8 hours or a day , restar righly and works again: i have check tº and according "my technician" is not a hot isuue what do you think after one our the tº at 1 cms to box dissipers is 36/37 Cº.

Thank you

Agustin.-

You have to start learning AVR programming language, usually C or Assembler. There is also BASCOM (Basic based). It's not difficult. I've done it for decoding DMX in lighting projects. An AVR has inputs (where You link Your buttons) and outputs (Where You link source selection and Leds). It's just a matter of putting a few lines together in a loop testing the button status and activating the corresponding outputs and leds. I would add also some debouncing code for the button routines (Imagine You press 2 or more buttons at the same time)
As what the remote concerns, You'll have to decode the protocol in order to mimic it, or use some other type of well known remote.
You can find also code written for this. A scope connected to the IR detector would help here.

Check the uP crystal connections or its corresponding decoupling capacitors.
Power up Reset circuit can also play havoc.
Find the reset pin and try to perform a manual reset (pull high or low according to the datasheet) Does it work now ?

I have not a sheet or technical manual where tell me how do a manual reset, and i dont know where is this pin, or how i will do it, but is an idea . i have pictures about the inner of ampl.

Do you think that doing a reset could be work again rightly and recovering the factory settings.

Now is working 2 hours and have not blocket what is the reason ?? I don't know

Thanks agustin

Hi all,

After several times that i have been testeing and re-tested once of it stars well and works perfectly. I dont know what is the reason, but after that i dont unplugged from mail power and all the time it is on stand by . temperature is around 37Cº out in warm dissiper and when is woking is around 47 Cº.

20 days have passed and continue working perfectly.

Would seeem have not got any problem at all, May be the eprom once ?

It is only for your information, I know thta have some problem but is quite old 26 year old ,and nobody , want or can repair , while works it will be with me , after i have to replace for other .

Thank you all for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.