FSSA amplifier build thread with review

Hey Dominic!

Oh it was fssa version 1 you built.. I thought u did the darlingtons.

Not really.. I think I got a fake jfet. The bias is not stable going to change it. Waiting for the jfet from local supply.

But it was played a couple of days. It was audio nirvana despite the problems protection kick in once a while . I followed Bob Cordell passive power supply methods it seems to be very good. As quiet as capacitance multiplier and maintain the richness of tone. Target achieved.

Done

I decided to go 720 ma. 800 is gets pretty hot. That extra 100 ma improve control even more. Smog lifted further. Ceramic insulator installed . Very solid durable more than what I ask for

Dc offset not move more than 25mv now from on till stable real jfet

Last edited:
YouTube
YouTube video posted.jfet replaced I just shift the speakers. I accidently moved it while connecting cables. So it sounds more correct. Straight from dac without preamp!

No review required.. Just hear it.. Still a little bright.. But I hope. You get my point how special it is

No part is really exotic.cheap caps, cables, decent rca and speaker posts from previous failed projects lolol. Semi expensive resistors. So you can listen to the good design by papa godzila. It's pre broken in... While waiting for parts.
Therefore sounds pretty good even only few days old.

Many friends ask why i don't like class A. Too soft mushy.. Cause I use it to watch movies and TV too. Don't hesitate to ask Fab.. He will help anybody who is willing to put in effort. I rate this project a very happy ending

And.. Thanks again Fab, and Dominic, my diyer mentor and model, who tried everything and always very gracious with sharing your experiences

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
Thanks for the kind words, feedback and good video:hphones::)

With 720ma of bias you should be in class A for at least 4Wrms into 4 ohms and probably more (>5W) with mosfet having almost no degeneration...;)
Therefore you are listening to a class A amp at this level of bias :p

Keep us posted after more breakin .

Fab

Last edited:
Fab

It will sound like crap soon for quite a while

For anyone wanting to consider this amp..

There is a very important feature for fssa,

It's a beast driving very difficult loads and speakers, you can just own one amp and be very happy as it can handle most speakers while hi and mids sounding class a, with huge reserve. Bass for example will be both full and punchy still, it will shake the whole room like noneother. Or it will just sing sweety like any good class a. Very transparent.

For example dyn and nht.. Elac uni
. Without a good amplification it will just sound flat. Often requiring very expensive class ab or high watt class d amplifier and overheating problems. This is the kind of amplifier to do that job with cherry on top. Not that expensive or complicated to build. As long as adequate heat sink with if that is the intention

I never believe there is such thing as perfect.. I own 6amplifiers and buddy own 9 some have like 30k amps so we know.. There isn't anything perfect but audio is all about smart choices.

Last edited:
48 hours

48 hours. It's on 24x7

Sounds pretty much just as good. Clarity improved just a little.. Preburn in is good idea

So what I did..

Burn in the supply while waiting for the pcb for 2 months
Burn in the front end while waiting for parts for couple of weeks.. No waste of energy.. Seem to help alot

Fssa surpassed all my expectations. Even without a preamplifier.. It is already perform better than goldmund+usspa . Imagine with usspa... I now thinking who to invite and scare..

My definition of better is driving capability. Class a sound with super bass that not only move my big room but doesn't cause that irritating pressure... With finesse and control.. Mind boggling really, how is that... Possible? I hear and own many amplifiers ... Till high end... Puzzled.. I blame pinnocchio and Fab not asking me to do it earlier.

I haven't seen anything/hear anything that I don't like. Soo that it for now

Cherio

Thanks a lot Anthony for all these posts, it sounds extremly tempting indeed.
You know how to communicate enthousiasm!

And a huge Bravo to Fab... again!
Fab, we had some exchanges in the past regarding your recommendation for an amp able to drive my Inifinity Renaissance 90 (to moderate levels). This amp could indeed be the solution, perhaps more than the Fab-ulous Class A ones you are doing?

Very tempted, let us know when we can get started!

Claude

Just one technical question... I read here and there that some SMPS (Cresnet) could be quite suited for AB designs.

Not that I am a fan at all of SMPS (don't know them well, not DIY, fail safe / longevity?), but then some posters mentioned them in other projects and I even have a SMPS for my B1 Korg pre now, so trying not to stick to my old school thinking and asking your POV gentlemen :)

Thanks again for all this sharing

Claude

@FAB
....and I have a pair of Magnaplanars just taking up space at the moment! So, I. too. am very interested....more so than - for the moment - in the USSP5 type. Consequently I would be in for a Stereo PCB set should you decide to make them available.

[I found out the website problem was down to new FO cables being installed from the exchange...all 100% now!]

ClaudeG

Smps are fine.. They sound really good now..they are tight controlled and clean.. Capacitance multiplier also similar, a little bleached out mids and bass from my previous comparison

So.. I encourage you to try the beefy clc supply, learn from Bob Cordell thread, . So that

Bass and low will be shocking good and beautiful.. Vocal will be as good as class A bloom and full. Darlingtons also have better bass.. From my experience with usspa.

Low ohm speakers ..lower volt High current bias
Hi ohm speakers hi voltage and can do lower bias

Big beefy heatsink... Max it! Bring out the godzilla

Last edited:
4 ohm!.infinity.. Pretty sure the direction I went will make you very happy..

The nht I have... 400w bipolar..71v symetry
. 5 paralel transistor.factory not diy. Still squeak squeak... Like a injured mouse... Amp burning like mad

100w godzilla build... Jaw drop beautiful.. Go for it

Last edited:
@FAB
....and I have a pair of Magnaplanars just taking up space at the moment! So, I. too. am very interested....more so than - for the moment - in the USSP5 type. Consequently I would be in for a Stereo PCB set should you decide to make them available.

[I found out the website problem was down to new FO cables being installed from the exchange...all 100% now!]

I have magnaplanars before... Not too difficult to drive...

Both Fab amp is good choice.. Just whether u like more class a fluidity and bloom or class AB punchy bass.. Not alot of low freq but they sound real... Not very picky over amplification. But.. Narcissistic me always say what I do always best... Fssa can do everything.. Still sound fluid, soft and sexy and cook up a Storm when u need. :D. But nice me say... Go where your heart choose.