Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Emotiva UPA-500 Distorted Channels
Emotiva UPA-500 Distorted Channels
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2020, 11:47 PM   #11
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Do the bad channels have any DC output voltage? Do you even need the bad channels anyway?

Last edited by rayma; 18th January 2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 18th January 2020, 12:05 AM   #12
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

You''ll probably have to ask Emotiva for one, fingers crossed.

Craig
Old 18th January 2020, 04:54 PM   #13
AlexRivera is offline AlexRivera
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Do the bad channels have any DC output voltage? Do you even need the bad channels anyway?

Iím glad you asked, I didnít measure this before!!

Yes, the bad channels have DC output, one has 876mV and the other 650mV, all others have anywhere from 15 to 65 mV.
Old 18th January 2020, 05:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRivera View Post
the bad channels have DC output, one has 876mV and the other 650mV, all others
have anywhere from 15 to 65 mV.
Might be leaky electrolytic capacitors. A bad transistor probably would cause much more DC output.
There may be more problems than capacitors, if you get no sound in those channels.
See if you can get a schematic, it would help a lot.

Last edited by rayma; 18th January 2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:05 PM   #15
AlexRivera is offline AlexRivera
diyAudio Member

Quick Update,

I tried finding a schematic but nothing, Emotiva didn't even respond (yet) my email where I asked about the price for the repair which should be very easy since they have a fixed price policy.

So I did remove the electrolytic caps for that channel and tested them, they were all good, even then I replaced them with new Nichicon caps and nothing the problem was still there, then I removed the output transistors to check them and they were also good, not even leakage, so when I soldered them back, voila.... no DC offset, it went down to 1.1 mV, then I tested with the speakers and no distortion.... Cold solder huh???

I tried re-heating the solder in the other channel's output transistors but distortion is still there, DC offset is gone too, that channel is also down to 1.1 mV.

I will keep looking around and re-heating solder here and there and see what happens.

I will also run the 1kHz sine wave and analyze it with the scope like I did before and see what happens.

Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Good work, keep at it but be careful and don't get discouraged.

Emotiva UPA-500 Distorted ChannelsHide this!Advertise here!