Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Relay timing
Relay timing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #71
Max Martin is offline Max Martin  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes!
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #72
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Relay timing
Good

So next step is to see exactly what the speaker relays are doing.

If you connect your meter across diode D713 (that is the diode across the relay coils) we can look at the voltage and get an idea of what is going on.

(There might be some other small signal muting of the audio buried within the circuit but lets get the basics sorted first)

So as you power the amp up I would expect to see the voltage across the relay coils come up to say 25 to 30 volts or so after a delay of 2 to 3 seconds.

Exact voltage depends on the resistance of the coils and the current they draw which in turn will cause a volt drop across R766. The relay voltage may well be marked on the relay itself.

So get an idea of the voltage and the time delay and then try switching off and on and see what the delay in coil voltage appearing is then. I would expect it to be a constant delay but lets see and put some numbers in.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #73
Max Martin is offline Max Martin  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The old relays had a res of 3.2k while the new ones are 2.4k. Voltage of relays are 36v it says (2x Omron Gr2-1Ae 36vdc)
Originals was chinese and one of them worked poorly.
First things i threw in and it worked good so i didn’t bother to adjust anything. Voltage i measured before. Relays see 32.75v i think
Will check voltade over that D713 too. But i don’t have 2-3 sec delay?��
Old Today, 08:06 AM   #74
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Relay timing
The relays should see around 28 volts (very approx) if they have 2k4 coils and the main supply is +34V. The 6 volt drop is down to the relay current causing a drop across the 220 ohm limiter resistor R766.

Anyhow... just like with pin 6 we need to be 100% sure what is happening and that means measuring the coil voltage and in particular looking at the delay you see.

There a couple of possibilities for the way all this works and so we need measurements to clarify how it all operates as one unit.

1/ When you power up from a cold start (all off, everything discharged) what delay do see by measuring the voltage across the relay coils?

2/ If you remove power (unplug from mains) for a few seconds and then repeat the above step what delay do you now see?

What we are going to look at here (if there is a difference) is what has changed around the module. The delay should be repeatable.

Now look at the circuit and find D701 which is across the power standby relay coil.
When you initially plug the unit in to the mains does this coil get 5V across it or does it not energise until you take it out of standby.

What we are trying to determine here is whether the standby function switches this relay on and off correctly and how that relates to the modules delay time. The module is fed from a 34V rail that is derived from a supply off the large transformer and so the module should give a repeatable delay each time the power relay is cycled on and off.

(a random thought... is it possible you blobbed any solder onto the module during the recap?)

Relay timingHide this!Advertise here!