PHONO power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Pick a better opamp if you want (the 1642 isn't the greatest for voltage noise, true, but its JFET so no current noise to speak of) - but you perhaps should define what you think world-class is for a phono preamp, because it sounds like 0.0001% distortion disappoints you, despite the fact people cannot detect distortion below around the 0.03 to 0.1% level.

My point is the supply voltage isn't a notable factor in performance with opamp circuits so long as its high enough for the headroom - no point clipping the power amplifier, 3V rms should be enough for anything, and if you need to step up to +/-9V using batteries that eliminates PSU noise too, which is my preferred approach.

This batch of opamps with the noise issue - what did they measure? (You did decouple according to the datasheet?)
I don't wanna sound arrogant Sir... I asked you to show me such a world class preamp...Now you turn your theoretical apparatus on me.Please turn it to this gentlemen in his topic:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...erential-single-phono-preamp.html#post5042184
I'm building phono and cassette head preamps with no audible hum or hiss without using any regulator at all, but i still need low noise components...Do you know why Sony , Pioneer , Denon or AIWA used a BJT input op-amp, the infamous M5220 or its sibbling M5219 for some of their best cassette preamps with no audible hiss or why M5220 is specified to work up to +-25 max supply voltage and why it can deliver up to 60ma at its output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.