Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

PHONO power amplifier
PHONO power amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2020, 01:38 PM   #21
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
Pick a better opamp if you want (the 1642 isn't the greatest for voltage noise, true, but its JFET so no current noise to speak of) - but you perhaps should define what you think world-class is for a phono preamp, because it sounds like 0.0001% distortion disappoints you, despite the fact people cannot detect distortion below around the 0.03 to 0.1% level.

My point is the supply voltage isn't a notable factor in performance with opamp circuits so long as its high enough for the headroom - no point clipping the power amplifier, 3V rms should be enough for anything, and if you need to step up to +/-9V using batteries that eliminates PSU noise too, which is my preferred approach.

This batch of opamps with the noise issue - what did they measure? (You did decouple according to the datasheet?)
I don't wanna sound arrogant Sir... I asked you to show me such a world class preamp...Now you turn your theoretical apparatus on me.Please turn it to this gentlemen in his topic:

A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preamp
I'm building phono and cassette head preamps with no audible hum or hiss without using any regulator at all, but i still need low noise components...Do you know why Sony , Pioneer , Denon or AIWA used a BJT input op-amp, the infamous M5220 or its sibbling M5219 for some of their best cassette preamps with no audible hiss or why M5220 is specified to work up to +-25 max supply voltage and why it can deliver up to 60ma at its output?

PHONO power amplifierHide this!Advertise here!