Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Baxandall transdiode question
Baxandall transdiode question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 03:08 PM   #1
scoobis is offline scoobis
diyAudio Member

Default Baxandall transdiode question

In a Quasi-complementary output stage when your using a Baxandall transdiode, should it be the same transistor used for the positive driver.

i've seen examples where the transistor used was not the same and it seems to me that in order to best emulate the characteristics of the positive driver it should be the same transistor as the positive driver.... or am i off base here...
Old 14th January 2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

No, that's likely to give best symmetry according to Baxandall - a transdiode is better than a diode, but either will improve the symmetry of cross-over and reduce the sharp discontinuity of the quasi-complementary topology (which is otherwise the worse class B arrangement, generating many harmonics positive and negative, as there isn't a good bias point).

CFP outputs use a much lower bias current than EF outputs, and combined them in the quasi-complementary arrangements is responsible for the worse behaviour - no bias current is optimal. The diode helps make the CFP side much more like an EF and thus permits more balanced biasing.

Baxandall transdiode questionHide this!Advertise here!