Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Harman Kardon Citation 11 preamp EQ board question
Harman Kardon Citation 11 preamp EQ board question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2020, 12:49 AM   #11
erniegiro is offline erniegiro
diyAudio Member

Default Confirmed 1 H inductor is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoffe View Post
I'm still a little confused...what is the "bad" inductor resistance with one (or both) ends lifted out of the circuit?

If it's infinite...then there's an open...and it must be replaced.
If it's much less than 400 Ohms, then there are shorted turns, and it must be replaced.

Finally...you could determine if it's the only problem by swapping the good inductor to the bad side.

Once we know for sure about the status of the inductor, we can go about finding or making a replacement.
Dan, I did as you suggested and swapped the good inductor to the bad side. The bad side now works.

I imagine this means I have a bad inductor, and like you explain it would have to be replaced or built.

I have found a 900 millihenry inductor at Mouser, it's called a telecoil, meant for use in hearing aids. It's Knowles part 5100-253444. These are in stock.

I attach the pdf. It's small appx. 9mm X 2.3mm, 15% tolerance. It's the closest I have found anywhere to the 1 H value.

Knowles also makes a 520 millihenry inductor, also 15% tolerance, part 5100-253144. I attach the spec sheet for it too.I am wondering whether 2 wired in series would achieve 1.04 H, closer to the original HK spec.

However I am not sure how suitable either part would be as a replacement for the original part.

Maybe you can give me your thoughts, and advise how to proceed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Knowles 5100-253444 900 mH inductor.pdf (60.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Knowles 5100-253144 520mH inductor.pdf (59.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th January 2020, 01:16 AM   #12
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

Good searching, but the DC resistance of both inductors looks kind of high...I don't think they are good replacements.

Your existing inductor must have a shorted turn or turns, thus the low DCR.

I'm doing a little looking around...I may have an answer for you tomorrow, with a bit of luck. If no luck, we might be able to do an active inductor as a replacement.
Old 16th January 2020, 02:00 AM   #13
erniegiro is offline erniegiro
diyAudio Member

Dan, thanks again for your help. I look forward to what you think may work.

Ernie

Harman Kardon Citation 11 preamp EQ board questionHide this!Advertise here!