Marantz PM-80mkII issues (I'm sorta stuck)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about trying with the equivalent of a 100W bulb in the limiter .

I could do that, but I'm inclined to wait for a bit. I am currently waiting on some new electrolytic caps, and think I want to replace them before moving on.
I desoldered C711 and C712 and did a series of tests. Altough I don't have the best methods for testing, I concluded that they behave different and one does not seem to hold even a small charge for any period of time

Last edited:
While you are at it check/change CN06 ( bottom right amp schematic ) , another electrolytic with virtually nil polarising voltage . I would change it to a non polarised electrolytic . I mentioned it back in post 24 but only as a suspect when you were dealing with the volume related protection triggering .

Last edited:
Nearly , C711 and C712 have a +0.65V polarising voltage across them where as CN06 does not .

PS most amplifiers will use a polarised capacitor in C711 and C712 often with a reverse polarised diode across them to limit a potential reverse polarity fault voltage to 0.65V

Last edited:
Nearly , C711 and C712 have a +0.65V polarising voltage across them where as CN06 does not .

PS most amplifiers will use a polarised capacitor in C711 and C712 often with a reverse polarised diode across them to limit a potential reverse polarity fault voltage to 0.65V

Correction..... C711 and C712 will have a minimal - 0.3V across them not as I previously wrote so very slightly reverse polarised ( as long as the actual board agrees with the schematic ) therefore on reflection I think they would also benefit from being non polarised , my apologies . Watch out for the pitch of the pins with replacement caps . No other caps stand out for me as candidates for replacing with non polarised .

Last edited:
Correction..... C711 and C712 will have a minimal - 0.3V across them not as I previously wrote so very slightly reverse polarised ( as long as the actual board agrees with the schematic ) therefore on reflection I think they would also benefit from being non polarised , my apologies . Watch out for the pitch of the pins with replacement caps . No other caps stand out for me as candidates for replacing with non polarised .

Yeah, I was studying the schematic and could not work out where that value you stated first would come from. Thank you for clarifying.

I will probably test the amp with the new polarized caps first, then order non polarized if things seem to be working

Update: Changed all electrolytic caps on P701 board and had a new go at powering up - same behavior. Pulsating glow in bulb limiter, power LED's on P701 pulsating in same pattern but dims. Very stable frequency of pulsing

After some contemplating I just could not believe what could be wrong with the amp board now, so I went ahead and pulled away J701 to isolate the rest of the boards from P701

Lo and behold - protection relay clicked on and I can operate speaker relays. Measured DC offset to -0.03V on L and 0V on R at center pin on emitter resistors. Next I plugged in J701 and disconnected J502 on volume/preamp board P501. This is as far as I got now. There is something going on with P501, and I am breaking it out to inspect

Just a quick look revealed a open resistor R526 and a cap with a slightly bulging top C512. They are both connected and as far as I can see will lead to DC leaking to signal path. Sadly I'm out of time this night

Attachments

• P501.png
    P501.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 72
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.