Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:40 AM   #771
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Daanve,
It is both. It is Single Ended Push Pull, where the upper device sets voltage on the load, and bottom device sets current demand to meet the voltage requirement. This is a very old technical name, I believe given to a very old 1950s design from Murray in Australia using tubes.
This is a difficult concept to grasp - but the harmonic profile of the amplifier, despite schematic appearances, is pure Single Ended. Not quite the same, but very, very close, and much more efficient.
There is no requirement to explain anything to X, Daanve, if you knew him as I do you would realise he is cleverer than you and I put together.

Hugh
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #772
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dannve - Let’s just call it “George”.

But seriously, no more pedantic arguing or snarky comments about what the topology is or isn’t. For almost 30years the Aleph-style amps are traditionally described as single-ended with an active CCS that tracks in sympathy with the load. The inventor and holder of the patent talks about this at length in various articles.

If you wish to discuss/argue about this, start a new thread. I’m sure there will be a lively and stimulating debate.
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #773
daanve is offline daanve  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

If you wish to discuss/argue about this, start a new thread. Iím sure there will be a lively and stimulating debate.
Was done months ago...but it lacks the lively and stimulating debate:
Discussion of Alpha Nirvana Operation
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #774
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanve View Post
Was done months ago...but it lacks the lively and stimulating debate:
Discussion of Alpha Nirvana Operation
Mmmm ... possibly because you persisted in jumping in, boots and all, to push your PoV onto the respondents at every available opportunity?

Andy
Old Today, 03:48 AM   #775
Francois G is offline Francois G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Daanve,
It is both. It is Single Ended Push Pull, where the upper device sets voltage on the load, and bottom device sets current demand to meet the voltage requirement. This is a very old technical name, I believe given to a very old 1950s design from Murray in Australia using tubes.
This is a difficult concept to grasp - but the harmonic profile of the amplifier, despite schematic appearances, is pure Single Ended. Not quite the same, but very, very close, and much more efficient.
There is no requirement to explain anything to X, Daanve, if you knew him as I do you would realise he is cleverer than you and I put together.

Hugh
Thank you so much!

Even if I don’t quite understand I’m happy to build my amp and listen. However, I was hoping for more subjective feedback, if any was available.

Last edited by Francois G; Today at 03:56 AM.
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #776
Francois G is offline Francois G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanve View Post
Funny that X still calls the amp SE.
Hugh, when will you tell him it's not?
Daanve, please stop it! You have made your point and it did not stick. Does it really matter what class amp it is, if highest fidelity is the objective?

Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A AmpHide this!Advertise here!