UDNeSS, or You don't need Semisouth's

I was asked by PM for information on ProUDNeSS, the double MOSFET parallel version.
All I have on that is the schematics posted in post #1.
I don't have PCB for that. I have not built myself.
So you should only attempt if you are experienced and skilful enough to debug or solve any possible stability issues.

There is a spice file in post#2 which you can modify to any variants you want.
Again, you have to know LTSpice well enough to do so.
I don't have ready made ones to cover all possible individual configurations.
But if you are serious about DIY, then LTSpice is worth investing time to learn.

Patrick

Someone just sent me a while ago picture of his newly built UDNeSS.

20230516 UDNeSS.jpg

Nicely done.

Many Congratulations,
Patrick

Reactions: 2 users
The amp pictured in post #387 is mine, and the congratulations go to Patrick.

I've always been a tube guy, but a friend of mine let me borrow his Aleph 3 and I knew right away that I had to build a Class-A amp of my own before he asked for it back. I studied the various Pass designs, but the designs that interested me all involved various unobtania. The UDNess, however, seemed like a path of low resistance with available parts. Since I'm basically cheap and lazy, I chose to pursue this path. I ordered pcb's from my favored supplier, pcbway, and gathered up the parts. Fortunately, I had an unused chassis that I was able to repurpose. It took a few hours of drilling and tapping, but I'm pleased with the results. I.e you can't see my mistakes.

I chose to utilize SMPS's as I'm getting too old to hoist 60-lb amplifiers around. The design uses a pair of Meanwell LRS150-24's, one for the plus and one for the minus supplies. Although I regularly use SMPS's in audio to good effect, I didn't know how the switcher noise might affect this particular design, so I designed a pcb that combined 2 of the switcher filters, documented elsewhere on diyaudio, in a +/- fashion. To enable fast changes, I used 1/4" quick-connects wherever possible.

The amp worked correctly from the get-go. I did need to change the resistor R6 to set the current through the output transistors to about 1.22A. Offset is very low and stable after tweaking Rdg; I did not use the servo. After stabilizing, the heatsinks run right around 55 degrees C, even after I forgot to turn it off one night. And there is NO noise. Try that with tubes. There are some very slight turn-on and turn-off thumps, but they don't cause very much woofer cone movement.

Anyway, the amp is a pleasure to listen to. My thanks to Patrick for a great design.

Reactions: 2 users
Does someone have compared UDNess V2 sound with some other amplifiers (F5, Aleph J, FW J2 etc) and can comment that. I am hesitating if I should go on with this or wait for some F5, Aleph J or other class A group buy or kit to arrive to diyaudiostore?

What is the max Idss for Q2, Q3 (2sk209) ? Would be also ok to use JFE150 or JFE2140 in this position? What should I know about other parts replacement for Q2, Q3?

What would be the minimum chassis for this amp? 3U/400 or 4U/400 or?