Extremely simple amplifier (4 transistors) with low THD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, but JLH did not have push pull output.

One thing I noticed with this amp that is unique: despite having output coupling cap, there is a slight 500mV DC offset due to the connection from the base of the PNP to the output after the cap.

This offset is not a good thing as voice coil will heat up a bit.

JLH A-class amp is also with push pull output ,

to avoid that output DC offset bias network need to be slightly modified by adding one more cap(C6) and one more resistor (R10),

this simple amp will sonicaly outperform many other solid state amps for sure because of his very specific THD spectrum .

Attachments

• Uno-Amp-LTspice-v1.jpg
    Uno-Amp-LTspice-v1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 589
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I wonder if there would be much to gain by fitting more suitable types of power transistor to such ~15W amplifiers as this Philips design. In other words, if we already have something like FJPF5200/1943 or even D44H11/45H11 which are often classed as audio transistors?

Last edited:
or even D44H11/45H11 which are often classed as audio transistors?
I have built some amps with these, even a minified JLH'69 - these are a little faster than originally specced devices, so there must be some compensation added. Otherwise probably good for something up to 10-something watts of class-AB...

But the above "black devil" amp is a good example of german enginierung: how to squeeze 50W out of a topology initially layed out for ~5W amps ...

If 'Mericans were at it, we would probably look at some double-digit-transistor topology ...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> 40mA or so DC through the speaker? That's about 300mV offset voltage for an 8 ohm speaker.

Yeah, not top-shelf performance.

But it is only 5% of the peak output, so speaker excursion is hardly used-up. 1/10th Watt DC dissipation should not bother the 2+ Watt speaker needed. And it IS just 4 transistors, 3 stages. It seems a tolerable trade-off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.