Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Another silly question
Another silly question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2019, 03:19 PM   #21
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

In my earlier post, I forgot the simplest mechanism of the ear: the eardrum. This is a very thin skin that vibrates with incoming sound waves. Its force is used to drive the middle ear's tiny bone levers, which pass the audio energy to the inner ear. So, accurately reproducing the eardrum's oscillations, should accurately reproduce sound, and the complex issue of understanding auditory perception down to details, would not be necessary.

Sorry for my aging-sluggish mind, but in my earlier post, I should have written this one instead.
Old 13th September 2019, 03:31 PM   #22
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Isn't the goal to as faithfully as possible reproduce the sound from the source, adding nothing, take away nothing? That is a straight-forward engineering problem.

May be, the most do misunderstand frequency response and THD as the goal;-)
Old 13th September 2019, 04:09 PM   #23
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N101N View Post
There are no schools with amplifier design program. The audio branch does not have a dedicated theory.
And NOW you tell me?
You mean I WASTED my University time from 1969 to 1976?

Plus all the time expanding it until now?

You are making me feel very depressed, what a fruitless life
Old 13th September 2019, 04:57 PM   #24
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think he also missed all those universities with audio departments. He just doesn't have a clue.

Jan
Old 14th September 2019, 06:00 AM   #25
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

I have no quarrel with Control Theory itself, but when applied to the audio field, it loses validity becoming out of context, inappropriate, inadequate and misleading. It is also far too simple and superficial. Fortunately, there is a tremendous amount of relevant knowledge beyond the shallow Control Theory.

JMFahey,
there is always an impending danger of misunderstanding hanging over my arguments. Expanding each argument to the size of a chapter could reduce misunderstanding and improve clarity, but still no one would be convinced.
Old 14th September 2019, 06:13 AM   #26
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

N101N, I guess you mean you are into the low-feedback or no-feedback camp? That can be traced back to a mistake in a 1966 article, see

https://linearaudio.net/sites/linear...me1ltemvdg.pdf
Old 14th September 2019, 08:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Part of that also came from the fact that 'audio types' didn't really have a good understanding of the technical issues, so they were easily convinced that this was a real issue. It was also strongly supported by a lot of marketing, promoting amplifiers with wide OL bandwidth as 'better'.

People with enough engineering background would have seen through the shams but they were working outside of audio.

Jan
Old 15th September 2019, 03:52 AM   #28
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Marcel,
thanks for the hint. To be perfectly frank, I no longer read that genre of high-flying academic literature. The target audience seems to be people with solid engineering background, not unedified hillbillies like me.

JMFahey,
It`s not all in vain, but I would be extremely cautious about applying generic engineering principles to audio.

edbarx,
you can easily get exhaustive answers to those (off topic) questions elsewhere.
Old 15th September 2019, 04:42 AM   #29
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
JMFahey,
It`s not all in vain, but I would be extremely cautious about applying generic engineering principles to audio.
After 50 years of doing it, somewhat too late for that, but I guess I will survive
Old 15th September 2019, 06:29 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N101N View Post
Marcel,
thanks for the hint. To be perfectly frank, I no longer read that genre of high-flying academic literature. The target audience seems to be people with solid engineering background, not unedified hillbillies like me.
Yet that doesn't stop you from making strong, sweeping statements about the (in)eptitude of those with a solid engineering background.

Jan

Another silly questionHide this!Advertise here!