Another silly question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my earlier post, I forgot the simplest mechanism of the ear: the eardrum. This is a very thin skin that vibrates with incoming sound waves. Its force is used to drive the middle ear's tiny bone levers, which pass the audio energy to the inner ear. So, accurately reproducing the eardrum's oscillations, should accurately reproduce sound, and the complex issue of understanding auditory perception down to details, would not be necessary.

Sorry for my aging-sluggish mind, but in my earlier post, I should have written this one instead.

I have no quarrel with Control Theory itself, but when applied to the audio field, it loses validity becoming out of context, inappropriate, inadequate and misleading. It is also far too simple and superficial. Fortunately, there is a tremendous amount of relevant knowledge beyond the shallow Control Theory.

JMFahey,
there is always an impending danger of misunderstanding hanging over my arguments. Expanding each argument to the size of a chapter could reduce misunderstanding and improve clarity, but still no one would be convinced.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Part of that also came from the fact that 'audio types' didn't really have a good understanding of the technical issues, so they were easily convinced that this was a real issue. It was also strongly supported by a lot of marketing, promoting amplifiers with wide OL bandwidth as 'better'.

People with enough engineering background would have seen through the shams but they were working outside of audio.

Jan

Marcel,
thanks for the hint. To be perfectly frank, I no longer read that genre of high-flying academic literature. The target audience seems to be people with solid engineering background, not unedified hillbillies like me.

JMFahey,
It`s not all in vain, but I would be extremely cautious about applying generic engineering principles to audio.

edbarx,
you can easily get exhaustive answers to those (off topic) questions elsewhere.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marcel,
thanks for the hint. To be perfectly frank, I no longer read that genre of high-flying academic literature. The target audience seems to be people with solid engineering background, not unedified hillbillies like me.

Yet that doesn't stop you from making strong, sweeping statements about the (in)eptitude of those with a solid engineering background.

Jan

edbarx,
you can easily get exhaustive answers to those (off topic) questions elsewhere.
The ear and sound perception are what allows anyone to evaluate the performance of any amplifier; therefore, discussing them is 'on topic'.

The idea of reproducing ear drum oscillations by an oscillating diaphram in air, stems directly from how the ear interfaces with sound waves in air. This is central to the design axiom that accurately reproducing ear-drum oscillations equates to good sound reproduction.

No one can deny the central axiom to sound reproduction is off topic where sound reproduction/amplification is the subject.

If you feel aggrieved by my posts, report me.

edbarx said:
Design always involves 'cobbling together' other people's technologies, although in very rare cases, a new technology might be required.

What is wrong in using the advantages of known technologies?

I am increasingly noticing, this forum is burdened by members who do not like the presence of less fortunate members. Because they were socially lucky to have the means to attend and obtain degrees in engineering, they look down on anyone attending these fora if a poster's way of writing indicates they don't use the usual tell-tale engineering jargon.
You misunderstand me. I said 'cobble together other people's designs'; this is different from 'cobble together other people's technology'.

Your last paragraph is way off course. It is best for me to ignore it.

N101N said:
Evidence shows that it is very difficult to design a high-performance amplifier. Well-educated electronic engineers are the worst designers. Instead of audio amplifiers, they design voltage regulators in accord with Control Theory.

A degree from a reasonable institution doesn't mean much. What is learned is not necessarily understood. Some personal qualities such as constructive ability, a sound sense and good taste are not acquirable through training, you either have them or you don't. There are no schools with amplifier design program. The audio branch does not have a dedicated theory.
Very amusing, I'm sure. Why exactly do you hang around this website? Thus far you seem bent on dissing knowledge but have not offered any useful alternative.

cumbb said:
May be, the most do misunderstand frequency response and THD as the goal;-)
Yes, hands up all designers who take frequency response and THD as the only goals. Oh dear, I can't see many hands.

N101N said:
Fortunately, there is a tremendous amount of relevant knowledge beyond the shallow Control Theory.
Would you care to share some of this 'relevant knowledge' with us, or at least point us to where it may be found? Otherwise we might gain the impression that you are merely an ignorant troll who likes to scribble with a crayon on other people's work while contributing nothing himself.

Linear Audio is an excellent publication, but it is not 'high-flying academic literature'. The target audience is people who wish to learn, having already acquired some of the basics. It will not help people who do not wish to learn, or people who can't be bothered to acquire the basics.

I'm curious. When did you stop reading that genre of 'high-flying academic literature'? Which genre do you now read? Which particular journals?

I perceive the information in those papers as mushy talk (can't help doing it). Classical Physics is elementarily phenomenological, superficial and gives poor insights due to descriptive incapacity.

¤

Announcing what I reject does not imply that I reject everything, which would be an untenable posture. Not accepting everything is a prerequisite for being trustworthy.

Classical Physics is elementarily phenomenological, superficial and gives poor insights due to descriptive incapacity.

Your statement makes it clear that you neither grasp Classical Physics nor that which has supplemented it since 1905. Perhaps you should study it in depth before you conclude that the science that underlies the vast majority of contemporary engineering is fundamentally flawed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.