Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Big Sky Audio, LLP
Big Sky Audio, LLP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #11
bigskyaudio is offline bigskyaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

The rude customers are usually few and far between but they do happen. I had an instance earlier this year that really soured me on the whole operating a business thing. Against my better judgement, I allowed a seller of a Parasound HCA-2200II to ship to me, upgrade it, and then send it to the new owner who purchased it. I was assured by the seller that it worked fine. I do not accept 3rd party shipments but made an exception as the buyer wanted to save on shipping cost and have the amp sent directly to me. Well, it had a right channel that did not work and had a raucous hum. I told the buyer about the inoperative amp and his reply was that I was a scammer and he believed the seller that the amp was good. I was threatened with a lawsuit, losing my home, jail time, and whatever else he could think of.
Old 13th August 2019, 03:37 PM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Big Sky Audio, LLP
Hi Rick (bigskyaudio),
Wow, that's way over the top! The fault could have been shipping damage, but the best way to deal with that would be to return it to the original owner, shipping collect. Forget the buyer in this case and you are taking the only reasonable action you could. Just opting out of that plan.

I'm sure this was a lot of wasted time and effort, coupled by the stress of dealing with an idiot. I'm sorry you ran into one of those people Rick.

-Chris
Old 13th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

No shipping damage at all. Someone was into the amp as the ground wire from power supply to right channel had been desoldered. It was not a solder crack that failed completely and wire came loose. There was also an open voltage regulator in the same channel.
Old 13th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank you huggygood!
Old 13th August 2019, 05:24 PM   #15
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Big Sky Audio, LLP
Hi Rick,
That's just plain nasty. Run as far as you can from situations like that!

-Chris
Old 13th August 2019, 06:39 PM   #16
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

it's our cross to wear.
I prefer to laugh that crying even if it is not always easy.
just this week, I have a 3x Ion that comes straight from england and sold as functional, except that it was bridged on a single channel, so in mono and with a broken down channel.
and an Analog Audio Puccini settanta who is coming out for the second time from a well-known hifi repair company in France, despite that, the amp creaks as if it was a burn out in the speakers ...
you are right, nothing is better than having your own workshop at home.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:08 PM   #17
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is a business learning experience that one wants to know about and hopefully avoid, sorry that it is on the backs of others. Lots of scamming going on these days for sure.

Parrasound HCA-2200II = John Curl design that probably uses unobtainable Toshiba fets and you are going to upgrade/fix it using what parts?
Old 14th August 2019, 03:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you are referring to the balanced input pair in the HCA-2200II, use 2SJ74BL & 2SK170BL. Bond the like pairs together and place heatshrink tubing over them.

Rick
Old 14th August 2019, 03:16 PM   #19
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Assuming you have or can get these genuine Toshiba parts. Are you selling off your stock of special parts?, which imo means it is over for you, if you do sell off stock, because good luck finding them again at reasonable costs and risks. I am sure Parrasound has given up servicing these units because probably no stock of parts. Maybe John Curl can supply service parts for his design
Old 14th August 2019, 03:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I purchase parts directly from Parasound as I need them. Buying from the manufacturer is the only way I can be sure that they are genuine and not counterfeit fakes from China.

Big Sky Audio, LLPHide this!Advertise here!