Just another lateral FET amp

Something that can be tried to help with instability is to use a bias spreader capacitor.
This goes from one gate to another, between the drivers.

Can search for those terms and find some examples, most of which are with lateral fet output designs. That has a better sonic trade off versus the gate to drain on the outputs, imo.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
A capacitor directly from one gate to another worsened things, but if you could contribute some link I would appreciate this.
The bias spreader is blocked with 100nF and between the bias spreader and the gate resistors there are bjt emitter follower buffers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
5~7MHz oscillations occured when I screwed the module to the heatsink. Fiddling with ground did not show any improvements. So I measured the capacitance between TO-3 case and the alu heat coupler - readout was 300/350pF or 650pF for both MOSFETs. Never did I expect such a big capacitance!

In this case mounting the power module switched an additional load capacitance of 650pF to the output - enough to let it oscillate. This certainly indicates poor stability and so I was investigating again...
To make a long story short I discovered the current mirror between LTP output and VAS input as critical. A 100pF cap connecting the base of Q2 with the neg supply greatly enhances stability. So I assume that the intrinsic Ccb of Q2 formed a pole in the critical region of 5~7Mhz that is bypassed by the base blocking cap. Increasing its value degrades the 1MHz sine output at high levels, 100pF is just fine here.
So it looks like this variant works stable w/o snubber and w/o load.

Last edited:
Area of TO3 about 6cm^2, thickness of typical insulating heatpad 0.2mm, not suprising the capacitance is in the 100's of pF range given the heatpad's likely composition (ZnO perhaps which has dielectric constant of 8.5)

A rough rule of thumb is 1pF per cm^2 for a 1mm spacing, scale for area, 1/separation, dielectric constant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Today I add TIM measurements with 5R/10R and no load. I assume that distortion level is hidden within the noise floor, which is dominated by soundcard output noise.

Attachments

• LatFETamp_2019_09_27_IMD19_20.png
    LatFETamp_2019_09_27_IMD19_20.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 320
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
This looks to be IMD , how about the harmonics at 10w . What bias current you ended up with ?
You are right, this is IMD. Bias was all the time 100mA.
You can read IMD/10W at the depicted plot at 10V/10R and 7V/5Ohm respectively.
Is there some way to display the harmonics within STEPS?
edit: I see ARTA FFT offers multitone measurements.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
So I measured the spectrum of 2-tone IMD 19/20kHz with ARTA.
10Vrms/20dBV at 10R/no load
7Vrms/17dBV at 5R0 load
What do you think of the result?

Attachments

• FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_no_load.png
    FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_no_load.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 310
  • FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_10R_load.png
    FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_10R_load.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 313
  • FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_5R0_load.png
    FFT_19k_20k_LatFETamp_2019_09_27_5R0_load.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 306
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I love your compensation technique. I definitely adopted it . I applied on beginner's CFA 150W amp . and result you can see before and after . Mille bravo . Is it your invention this two way compensation? Is it baptized?
Thank you for the kind words. It is nice to see knowledge transfer being appreciated. The 2-pole compensation is well known for decades. And has been extended to nested feedback loops by Bruno Putzey, for instance. I followed the general rule to reduce additional poles of the gain stages, making them as fast as possible. And I reduced miller cap as far as I could. Most of the development was fiddling with LTSpice for best theoretical performance. So I do not think that there is some detail in my circuit you have never seen before somewhere. All in all it is a composition of what I call good engineering practice.
cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How about clarity in sound compare to Class D ?

Some lateral mosfet amp from old days had really poor sound and produce very much heat....

10 years ago have tested sound quality in Audio Setup

1. lateral mosfet amp with Hitachi Devices +/- 80 Rail

running very very hot - sound quality was lowest from all mosfet amps

Cheap Chinese no name bipolar PA amp sound better in mid and high

2. Mosfet Amp with Hexfet IRFP240/IRFP9240 +/- 80 VDC Rail

running hot but not same like lateral amp, sound was better and clearer

3. N Channel Amp Mosfet or IGBT in same circuit +/- 80 VDC Rail

Sound quality was the best, easy audible in Fullrange HI-FI Home Setup or PA Subwoofer and PA Cabinet speakers

Temperature was lowest @ full output power, Lateral amp run hottest

4 Class D PA amplifier from Powersoft

NO WAY for lateral / Hexfet / IGBT amp

Class D amp beat all in clarity and natural sound reproduction

I have discontinued spend time for classic amp design and move to class D

Last edited:
How about clarity in sound compare to Class D ?

Some lateral mosfet amp from old days had really poor sound and produce very much heat....

10 years ago have tested sound quality in Audio Setup

1. lateral mosfet amp with Hitachi Devices +/- 80 Rail

running very very hot - sound quality was lowest from all mosfet amps

Cheap Chinese no name bipolar PA amp sound better in mid and high

2. Mosfet Amp with Hexfet IRFP240/IRFP9240 +/- 80 VDC Rail

running hot but not same like lateral amp, sound was better and clearer

3. N Channel Amp Mosfet or IGBT in same circuit +/- 80 VDC Rail

Sound quality was the best, easy audible in Fullrange HI-FI Home Setup or PA Subwoofer and PA Cabinet speakers

Temperature was lowest @ full output power, Lateral amp run hottest

4 Class D PA amplifier from Powersoft

NO WAY for lateral / Hexfet / IGBT amp

Class D amp beat all in clarity and natural sound reproduction

I have discontinued spend time for classic amp design and move to class D

Great man, your comment forced to leave tge forum

This is one of the coolest threads I've ever seen at this group. It would be great to know what happened to the project?

Fantastic work, Voltwide / 29285. I really hope that we get an update at some point and I hope that you are out there somewhere (enjoying your amp!).

Reactions: 1 users