Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Yamaha RX-V2095
Yamaha RX-V2095
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Silverado is offline Silverado  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha RX-V2095

Hello All, new to this site, and looking forward to hearing all comments and help I can receive. Not even sure if this post is in the correct section. But here goes. I recently acquired a used Yamaha rx-v2095 receiver at a garage sale for $10 (along with a few other things). Some things I keep, some I resell. Cosmetically it looks ok, but unfortunately I have the same problem others have had. It shuts itself off. At first I was hoping it was from the heat. It has been sitting in my garage since I got it,til I had time to bring it in and take a look at it.

Being the middle of the summer and an unavoidable heat wave, I'm sure it was pretty warm inside. After sitting for only a minute inside my air conditioned home, I plugged it in and turned it on. I heard a click,than a second later another click. looked at the display and saw nothing. I did this a few times with the same results,except that I noticed the display flash for a split second everytime I would turn it on again. I figured it was too hot and let it cool for a few hours in the ac. While trying it again later, no different results. After reading some other users posts, I decided to try some things.

I took off the top and did a visual of the inside. Nothing looked damaged or out of place. While turning the unit on,I would notice a quiet springing sound until the other click. I did attempt to run the self diagnoses. It did show me a message. I had to keep running the diagnosis over and over until I was able to make out the message,since it only displayed for a split second. It said CHK SUM: F300 G / PS PRT : 0%.

I figured before I go crazy taking apart things I don't need to, I would look for suggestions from more experienced experts than myself. I am by no means an expert, but I am fairly capable of testing and repairing all types of things. I can read electrical schematics. My main trade is automotive repair so I am familiar with evolving electronics. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.
Old 21st July 2019, 01:25 AM   #2
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
. It said CHK SUM: F300 G / PS PRT : 0%.
The micro-computer spit out its ROM check sum?
Would have to get a service manual, to look further, not an easy one imo but you never know it could be power supply related, one never knows.
Old 21st July 2019, 01:56 AM   #3
mbz is offline mbz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The AVR's are generally "impossible" to fix, however in this case I think you might be lucky.
The PS PRT 0% indicates a power supply problem, ie, abnormal voltage detected, abnormal
because the voltage was 0% of the expected voltage. This means, in plain english, that you
probably have a voltage regulator down, these should be reasonably accessible, on the top of the unit and heat sink mounted.

Download the service manual from hifiengine.

Certainly the CHK SUM will need to be sorted out however I think the amp is in protection because of the PS issue.
Old 22nd July 2019, 02:07 AM   #4
deadpool is offline deadpool  Australia
diyAudio Member

I must be fixing the impossible everyday...
Old 22nd July 2019, 02:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A comment on the CHK SUM or PS PRT 0% would have been helpful.
Old 22nd July 2019, 02:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

just pointing out impossible for you is possible for me, no harm intended

Yes it is most likely a reg fault, but complex units not recommended to be worked on by a novice, but I hope you can point him in the right direction

best of luck
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

no probs, just hoping to learn something.
I've about 6 yamaha RX-V's in the shed in DC protect. I've learnt that DC PRT does not
necessarily mean blown transistors.
Old 22nd July 2019, 05:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeah cool.. OP only paid a tenner for his unit...how much time did he want to throw at it?

I mean it can be repaired but you can also tie yourself in knots trying to...

A simple old 2 channel Yamaha amp would better for a novice to learn on
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:37 AM   #9
rex_johnston is offline rex_johnston  Norfolk Island
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz View Post
no probs, just hoping to learn something.
I've about 6 yamaha RX-V's in the shed in DC protect. I've learnt that DC PRT does not
necessarily mean blown transistors.
Dc in the Yamaha i just repaired was measured wrt digital ground (of course). Measuring from analog ground was fine. They seem to come adrift ...

As for the stupid way the various rail voltages are sensed. They just add all the rails together through resistors, along with some transformer windings before the bridge and end up with ~1v which is fed into the cpu. Daft.
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_johnston View Post
Dc in the Yamaha i just repaired was measured wrt digital ground (of course). Measuring from analog ground was fine. They seem to come adrift ...

As for the stupid way the various rail voltages are sensed. They just add all the rails together through resistors, along with some transformer windings before the bridge and end up with ~1v which is fed into the cpu. Daft.
Thanks for the tip. Though I doubt I've the courage to have another look at them for a while yet. Happy tinkering with 2 channel amps...

Yamaha RX-V2095Hide this!Advertise here!