Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Nad 2100PE in Spice - Can't get protection circuit to work
Nad 2100PE in Spice - Can't get protection circuit to work
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2019, 10:40 AM   #1
AldoR is offline AldoR
diyAudio Member

Default Nad 2100PE in Spice - Can't get protection circuit to work

Hi Everyone,

Don't understand the over-current protection scheme on this amp. Q4 needs to be forward biased to switch on once a threshold (measured across R33) has been reached. It all goes pear shaped after R8 (all references are my part numbering), marked B on the attached waveform. ER+ (emitter resistor high side) is what I would expect to see, minus some loss after going through the 1K5. E, the emitter of Q4 is also shown. I know next to nothing about Spice - if you have any suggestions, parameters / settings I've done wrong, please share. Transistor models are not for the original devices, I have listed these in blue text. If anyone can improve on them and re-upload, that would be great

Interestingly, if D4 is reversed, then the circuit works, even on a real amplifier. Unfortunately it's a bit too sensitive then.

Q1 approximates the protection circuit IC, we want the junction of Q1 and R27 to stay below pin 1 threshold of approx .7v under normal operating conditions.

Also attached is a partial of the original 2100 service manual. The full manual is available as a free download from Hi-Fi Engine.

Not related, attached is an image of the waveform as Class-G kicks in, for anyone interested.
Attached Images
File Type: png Nad_2100_Protect.png (357.4 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc Nad2100_Rev1.asc (29.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Nad2100_Rev1.pdf (31.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf Nad2100wave_Q4.pdf (35.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Nad2100wave_PE.pdf (29.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th July 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
AldoR is offline AldoR
diyAudio Member

Forgot to add the .asc file will want to access a txt file in c:\ for some of the models. I used a zip file posted by Mooly in 2018. I see the file contains Cordel models and is copyrighted so didn't attach it. I'm sure there will be an updated version by now available for download on diyaudio.

Nad 2100PE in Spice - Can't get protection circuit to workHide this!Advertise here!