Onkyo PR-SC5508 not working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What you think of hot is nothing like the temperature solder melts at. 70C is going to burn you, whereas 170C is not going bother a solder joint (even transistors can take that, though its not recommened). It gets hot because a fan would make noise, so its passively cooled. Of course it might be hotter than it should be, but how to tell?

I'd go through the troubleshooting section of the manual, then if necessary look inside for obvious issues (blown fuse, damage, loose connector).

Execute a self-test as outlined in the service manual. If the DSP firmware ver. does not show up, it's probably the dreaded premature aging problem these chips are subject to, not just across several Onkyo model ears but other manufacturers as well. Elevated temperatures will accelerate the process. Heating up the TI DSP on the HDMI board may temporarily revive it, but long-term a new rev. D chip will be required, as opposed to the B or maybe C silicon installed now. (DA830...Dxxx)

Less often, dead surface-mount electrolytics have also been spotted on this board.

I think the recall on misc. Onkyo models has expired now. Last time I checked, one of these chips goes for around 25 bucks a pop, and obviously soldering them is not entirely trivial business either. Finding someone who can may be a good idea. Oh, and I'd also invest in a heatsink for the chip plus thermal adhesive.

:)

Execute a self-test as outlined in the service manual. If the DSP firmware ver. does not show up, it's probably the dreaded premature aging problem these chips are subject to, not just across several Onkyo model ears but other manufacturers as well. Elevated temperatures will accelerate the process. Heating up the TI DSP on the HDMI board may temporarily revive it, but long-term a new rev. D chip will be required, as opposed to the B or maybe C silicon installed now. (DA830...Dxxx)

Less often, dead surface-mount electrolytics have also been spotted on this board.

I think the recall on misc. Onkyo models has expired now. Last time I checked, one of these chips goes for around 25 bucks a pop, and obviously soldering them is not entirely trivial business either. Finding someone who can may be a good idea. Oh, and I'd also invest in a heatsink for the chip plus thermal adhesive.

Hiya, I'll give that a go, I have a heatgun, what temperature should I set it to before I try a simple reflow? And, wise to remove the whole board before I do this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.