Rod Elliott saves the day again!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Well, I must commend Rod Elliott for his wonderful site and projects!

His P38 "auto relay" circuit works excellently for my BIC subwoofer. Yes, the sub has an "off-auto'on" switch, but since the power transformer in it is connected to AC at all times, it drew 50 watts AC no matter what. A few years back I installed a line on-off switch, but grew weary of having to turn the thing on every time I wanted to watch TV. (I use the sub to augment the tiny flatscreen TV speakers). Now, with a tiny transformer added for 12V to the P38 circuit, it now only draws 1, maybe 2 watts, until the P38 senses the sound from the TV, then kicks in the BIC transformer, then back off if no sound from the TV after 10 minutes. I'm happy.......

His other project, P99, a Sallen-Key steep rumble filter, is great for the console stereo I re-designed, as well as a custom jukebox I designed. No more "feedback" and howling at high volumes when playing records, and who needs "sub-sonic" crap in their music anyway?

The man is a genious. Much thanks Rob, if you read this. Keep up your fine work. :)

I bought these boards and have them on the bench but not installed yet - they seem to work very well.
Some things that are important to know:

• size is 57x77 mm²
  • max sensitivity is around 20mV ( adjustable with the 20k trimpot)
  • by default the board always switches power on, when first powered up regardless of the presence of an audio signal
  • the turn off delay is determined by a resistor. In my case it was a 1.8MOhm where the silk screen shows a 1M trimpot. This gives around 3 minutes. I replaced with a 4.7MOhm which gives around 15 minutes delay when first powered on and 8 minutes during operation.

It is the smallest and most convenient board (as it has its own power supply) with this funtionality that I could find. If you tend to fall asleep with your class A amps running all night, this might help a bit with your electricity bill.

Attachments

• audio relay.jpeg
    audio relay.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 137