Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

resistors and Bias
resistors and Bias
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #31
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member
 
wiseoldtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Philadelphia Pa USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
We've seen the service manual advice and the specified bias current measurement but it says nothing about the direction or setting for minimum or maximum bias. Steveu has analysed the circuit and determined the wiper should be in the R1 position for maximum bias. Perhaps this is a typo because there's no R1 in this section of the amplifier and he means the RH position. This is the logical direction but let's see if he has a comment to add.

I would rig up the amp on a dim bulb, then center the adjustment, then rotating it while measuring idle current.
That would clear up any questions, simple enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #32
dj_holmes is offline dj_holmes  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: london
Thank you for all the contribution people but honestly I never thought it was going to be this difficult!!!!

I mean the potentiometer varies something right?

The reason I am so keen because its eating me alive! I presumed that if I can understand one I will understand more. I know someone will now post never presume anything!
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #33
Ylli is offline Ylli  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Upper midwest, US
Shall we walk through a quick analysis?

Let's start out by making some assumptions:
1. The output, (C306 negative terminal), remains very near zero volts like a good little amplifier.
2. The drive from the connector pin 6 remains fixed. It won't but close enough for this analysis. (Just to put a number on it, say 2 volts.)
3. The bias feedback signal (Lbias) is working properly, but is of a small enough magnitude to ignore.

OK, let's continue:

1. Q305, Q306 and the associated resistors form a Sziklai pair configured as a Vbe multiplier. 2. VR302 adjusts the voltage seen at the positive terminal of C306.

3. If we increase the resistance of VR302, the voltage at the positive terminal of C306 will increase so as to provide sufficient current to turn on Q306. Note there is no indication in the schematic if maximum resistance of the pot is fully CW or fully CCW. If you can find the circuit board layout, you may be able to determine it one way or the other.

4. When the voltage on the C306 increases, that increase will be seen by R309 and the emitter of Q304 increasing the emitter and hence the collector current.

5. An increase of the collector current of Q304 increases the voltage dropped across R315. This will pull the gate of Q308 closer the ground, increasing it's drain current. (since the source is connected to the negative rail)

Conclusion:

*Increasing* the resistance of VR302 *increases* bias current. Again, note that depending on how the part is configured on the board, maximum resistance might well occur when the pot is set fully CW. But then again it might not.
Attached Images
File Type: png NAD300Cpwr.PNG (113.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Ylli; Yesterday at 10:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #34
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member
 
JMFahey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_holmes View Post
Do I set the boas to maximum resistance or lowest then to get minimum bias?
For the 100th time: that question can not be answered until you post the proper schematic.

Whay is that simple truth so hard to understand for you?

Quote:
I never thought it was going to be this difficult!!!!
YOU are being incredibly stubborn and difficult about NOT doing your homework and instead begging/pushing/screaming for an impossible answer.
__________________
Design/make/service musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969.

Last edited by JMFahey; Yesterday at 11:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #35
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
TonyTecson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maybunga, Pasig City
resistors and Bias
a good way to start would be to know that:

1. tubes are normally conducting with zero grid bias, so that a resistor placed at the cathode ensures the grid is in negative voltage bias territory, a grid leak resistor to ground is mandatory...

2 bipolar transistors are normally off devices, you have to inject base current to get the collector current to conduct....jfets too...

3. enhancement mosfets are also normally non conducting...whereas depletion mosfets are like tubes in that they are normally conducting drain currents....

so with this you can start your own journey in the business of biasing...
__________________
planet10 needs your help: Let's help Ruth and Dave...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plane...ml#post5010547[B
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #36
dj_holmes is offline dj_holmes  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: london
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylli View Post
Shall we walk through a quick analysis?

Let's start out by making some assumptions:
1. The output, (C306 negative terminal), remains very near zero volts like a good little amplifier.
2. The drive from the connector pin 6 remains fixed. It won't but close enough for this analysis. (Just to put a number on it, say 2 volts.)
3. The bias feedback signal (Lbias) is working properly, but is of a small enough magnitude to ignore.

OK, let's continue:

1. Q305, Q306 and the associated resistors form a Sziklai pair configured as a Vbe multiplier. 2. VR302 adjusts the voltage seen at the positive terminal of C306.

3. If we increase the resistance of VR302, the voltage at the positive terminal of C306 will increase so as to provide sufficient current to turn on Q306. Note there is no indication in the schematic if maximum resistance of the pot is fully CW or fully CCW. If you can find the circuit board layout, you may be able to determine it one way or the other.

4. When the voltage on the C306 increases, that increase will be seen by R309 and the emitter of Q304 increasing the emitter and hence the collector current.

5. An increase of the collector current of Q304 increases the voltage dropped across R315. This will pull the gate of Q308 closer the ground, increasing it's drain current. (since the source is connected to the negative rail)

Conclusion:

*Increasing* the resistance of VR302 *increases* bias current. Again, note that depending on how the part is configured on the board, maximum resistance might well occur when the pot is set fully CW. But then again it might not.

Thank you for this break down!
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #37
dj_holmes is offline dj_holmes  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: london
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
For the 100th time: that question can not be answered until you post the proper schematic.

Whay is that simple truth so hard to understand for you?


YOU are being incredibly stubborn and difficult about NOT doing your homework and instead begging/pushing/screaming for an impossible answer.
I cannot seem to attach the schematic but it can be downloaded here

NAD C300 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #38
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylli View Post
Shall we walk through a quick analysis?.......................
3. If we increase the resistance of VR302, the voltage at the positive terminal of C306 will increase so as to provide sufficient current to turn on Q306. Note there is no indication in the schematic if maximum resistance of the pot is fully CW or fully CCW. If you can find the circuit board layout, you may be able to determine it one way or the other................*Increasing* the resistance of VR302 *increases* bias current. Again, note that depending on how the part is configured on the board, maximum resistance might well occur when the pot is set fully CW. But then again it might not.
Just go to post #15 and look at the parts overlay for the PCB. That's where you see which end of the pot is common with the wiper and identifies which way the pot should be rotated to increase or decrease resistance. Is it so hard for everyone to scan the thread fully, click on the thumbnail and see that the OP already supplied the information?
Link to the manual, free sign up and download: NAD C300 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine
__________________
If only I had listened....
  Reply With Quote

Reply


resistors and BiasHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken bias resistors (Yaqin MC-10L) icc87 Tubes / Valves 8 4th July 2017 03:49 PM
Bias Protection Resistors in DC Coupled Amp dsavitsk Tubes / Valves 6 23rd August 2009 01:53 AM
Bias Supply resistors AmpBuilder225 Tubes / Valves 14 19th April 2009 12:34 AM
400A, emitter resistors and bias: I would learn Mywing Pass Labs 6 5th June 2008 04:19 PM
AA1800 bias resistors eds65gto Solid State 2 20th January 2005 03:21 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki